Flash movie

Jul 09, 2012

Hi all,

I would like to insert some flash movies in a presenter course. As I need to record the whole screen in order to record even what I am doing in the windows command line with screenr I do not manage it (as the command button to stop/pause are invisibile if I set the whole monitor size). I tried with jing and it is better as command button moves in order to stay always visibile.

Now the questions are following:

• Is there a way with screenr to record the whole screen?
  • Which size shall I take into consideration in order to have the video readable? If I try to resize the swf directly in the slide the quality is really low.
  • Is there a limitation of number of swf that I can insert in a course?

I just need some suggestions from somebody that did already such exercises.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Silvia

6 Replies
Jeanette Brooks

Hi Silvia! With Screenr, you can record fullscreen by changing the Capture Size to Full Screen. Even though Screenr's record/pause buttons become invisible when you do that, you can press Alt+D to pause or resume recording. 

Regarding choosing a good recording size, since the maximum size of your slides is 720x540, that's the size that will give you the best quality while still maximizing the viewing size. Or, if you want something a bit larger and are willing to use the No Sidebar view mode on your slide, you could record at 980x560, as shown in this blog post.

If those sizes are still not big enough to show everything you want to include in your movie, keep in mind that you can also move the recording window around while recording, if you need to reveal a different part of your screen. You can just click and drag the red border of the recording window to a different area of your screen, and Screenr will record that movement.

Another idea is this: you could record your video at full screen, and then when you insert it into your course, you could choose to make the movie display in a new browser window, so that you aren't constrained by the size of your course slides. Depending on how you plan to present your content and how the video fits in with the flow of your course, this might be a good approach for you.

And no, there isn't a limitation on the number of videos you include in your course, but keep in mind that sometimes heavy use of video can bog things down for your learners if server or connection speeds are slow. Videos are not pre-loaded in advance of learners arriving at the slide, so if their connection is slow they might encounter a delay before the video plays. If this is a concern, you might want to look into the preloader ideas that other Articulate users have shared here and here

Silvia Vantusso

Hi Jeannete,

thanks for the rapid answer. The problem is that my video is a software tutorial (more clips) and the learner need to see even the smallest details.

I already tried with screenr with appropriate sizes (980x560 and 720x540) and definition is fantastic. I find a little bit uncomfortable if I need to zoom to let the learner see some details and then go back to the result in the original dimension...

I hope my explanation is clear.

Thanks in advance again!

Silvia

Silvia Vantusso

Sorry to troouble you... I was not really clear.

What I need to create are software tutorial but not onlu screencasting that give details to the learner.

For example when recording the action done on videa I need to have zoom effect, click effect (like captivate) not only screen recording. As I need to embed it in a presenter course I need to have suggestion on which software I could use (even if not a free software) that would let me do all this kind of things and is totally compatible with articulate presenter. As far as I know captivate 5 is not supported.

Silvia

Jeanette Brooks

Silvia, is Storyline an option for you? It has a really robust screen-recording/simulation feature that allows you to create zoom areas, click effects, hint captions, and more.

If Storyline isn't an option for you right now, Captivate 5 screencasts will work in Presenter as a web object, and you can find out more about that here

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.