RE: Case # 00365326

Nov 04, 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to follow-up on an earlier case... I have a Storyline license downloaded on two work computers, per the Articulate usage agreement, which I and my manager use to create our training modules. Recently, she had to uninstall the program on one of the machines because she got a new computer. She was using a trial version at first, and is now using a second license which she recently purchased. There seems to be an issue with our versions' compability... and this is creating a major issue in completing our projects in a timely manner, because something I create looks differently on her screen than it does on mine.

I've attached the storyline file in question, along with a screen shot of the issue in a Word document. Any feedback regarding how to resolve this issue is much appreciated. Thank you!!

16 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Chrisanna,

I looked into your Support case, and see that Cleo sent you the following:

With regard to difference with the display and content on Trial and full version Storyline, both should be the same and will function as expected when Windows is set to 96 DPI (dots per inch).

Storyline doesn't currently support 120 DPI. If your system is set to 120 DPI, you may experience erratic behavior, such as:

*  Elements of the application are misplaced or distorted.
*  Objects are misplaced or distorted when previewed or published.
*  Zoomed images don't work as expected.

*  Font sizes are incorrect after using the translation features.

Here's how you can switch to 96 DPI:
http://articulate.com/support/kb_article.php?product=st1&id=wrq3kowg4jww 

Were you able to confirm that you DPI settings were the same on both computers? 

The example you sent shows that the shapes are set off, so my other thought is in regards to how you're sharing the file back and forth? Since you'll want to ensure that you're working with local project files, I'd suggest following this workflow. 

Chrisanna  Hibbitts

Thanks, Ashley, I did receive that message from Cleo, but both my supervisor and I were already set to 96 DPI, so that was not the issue.

The way we're sharing files, is identical to your suggestion: we work exclusively in our C-drives when working on our respective machines, and then once the file is completed, we copy/paste to our network drive so it's backed up on our company server. We then open from the network drive, "save as" in the c-drive and begin again.

This is the same process we've used since the beginning, but the first time we've experienced this issue. Not sure where to go from here... any thoughts? Thanks again.

Chrisanna  Hibbitts

Thanks, Ashley. Will this repair work whether someone is using a trial version or the full version?

Also, if we also need to update to the latest version of Storyline, should we download the new version first, and then after activating, run the repair? Or run the repair first, restart, then download the new version? What is your best recommendation?

Thanks again.

Hi Chrisanna,

The trial version is a full version of the software that just hasn't been activated yet, so the repair will work for either. I'd suggest conducting the update first, and see if that resolves the issue - and if you're still having difficulty then we can explore the other options like repairing Storyline and repairing the supporting Windows software. 

Chrisanna  Hibbitts

Thanks, but it's still not working. My supervisor said she's tried everything. She's still showing shapes misaligned on her screen, while they look totally perfect on my screen. We're both really concerned this is going to cut into our work time and cause a major issue with getting our projects completed in a timely manner if we're unable to share files and view them in the correct format. Can I forward her email to you or have her call you? We need to be able to resolve this as quickly as possible.

Thanks again.

Hi Chrisanna,

I just had a colleague read through this thread again, in case I missed something. He pointed to the fact that you're following the steps below to access the files. The first part about copy/paste to your network drive is great, but you'll want to follow those same steps when you want to use it from your C drive. Opening the "network drive" version and clicking "save as" could be causing the problem your supervisor is seeing. 

Chrisanna Hibbitts said:

The way we're sharing files, is identical to your suggestion: we work exclusively in our C-drives when working on our respective machines, and then once the file is completed, we copy/paste to our network drive so it's backed up on our company server. We then open from the network drive, "save as" in the c-drive and begin again.

So you'll want to review this workflow and confirm you're following along with that. Also, can you confirm that when your supervisor views the published output she's not testing locally, but testing within the intended environment. 

With all that being said though, we took a look at the image you shared from the Support page, which was also misaligned, so I've gone ahead and escalated your original Support case to our Senior Support Engineers who will be in touch shortly. They'll be able to do some further troubleshooting with you and your supervisor! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.