Audio and other issues with Review after iPadOS update

Oct 16, 2019

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed audio and other issues with courses published to Review after updating with iPadOS.  On my iPad Pro, the courses show but the audio is intermittent.  Also noticed that AMP does not present itself as an option when course published with AMP checked.  My company iPad Pro is currently not updated due to policy and all works as advertised.  Also courses run fine on a PC or Mac.  I have courses published in just HTML-5, Flash with HTML-5 Backup and AMP and problem seems across the board.  Also curious if my home Wi-Fi / Internet could be the culprit which is only place have tested my personal iPad pro.   

19 Replies
Ren Gomez

Hi Jeffrey,

Sorry to hear you're coming across audio issues with your course! Can you confirm you're in the Safari app to view your course using an IPad with iOS 13.1.2?

If so, you've come across a bug that we've encountered as well. We're working through this, and I'll pop back in here to let you know as soon as I have an update.

In the meantime, can you try using the Chrome app and see if it helps?

Heather Hossfeld

Hi -- I just signed in to see if anyone else is having this issue. I'm testing modules that we've just published to a Moodle LMS. On my iPad Air 2 with the latest update (iOS 13.1.2) in Safari I'm having constant audio problems. There are numerous modules, some using the "modern" player and some in the older player (published in HTML5 with Flash backup). 

I'm not finding these problems on my PC in Chrome, Firefox or Explorer. 

I'll also test in Chrome on my iPad, but many of our users will access the courses in Safari. Is this something you're looking into? 

Jeff Foster

As you can see they are looking into it.  My iPad Pro auto updated to 13.1.3 over the weekend but the issues remain.  Luckily our student population runs their programs on iPads that have not yet updated to the latest iOS. (Company restriction). This could be a huge issue for us.  Going through Chrome on the iPad works, but again trying to steer clients/students to this is awkward since the LMS apps are Safari-centric.

George Price

It is great to see the staff is aware of this issue. We have created 50 to 100 courses, over the years, using Storyline. This is happening with iPads using the newer OS (13.1.2 and 13.1.3) on Safari. Older iPads are not effected. The Chrome browser does function correctly. This seems to be effecting imported audio files. We generally use WAV. Audio embedded in a imported MP4 is not effected. This also seems to be retroactive. Courses that that tested and played correctly in the past, are now effected. Lastly, there seems to be no difference whether you are playing straight HTML or if you are running as Scorm in an LMS environment. Please keep us posted.

George Price

Hi Leslie. Thank you for the quick response. This is a good temporary,
stop-gap solution. We will use this in-house. We have tens of thousands of
users. This isn't going to be our permanent solution. I posted to forward
what information we had in hopes it maybe helpful in finding the solution.
We are big fans of your product.

Jeff Foster

Good morning.  Our LMS is limited to using AMP and Flash (we are in  the process of updating) but the change to iOS 13.x.x is problematic, not only for the LMS but on Review as well.  Luckily our clients are restricted from updating company iPads to the current iOS so everything before 13 seems to work fine.  (Why is 13 such a bad number!!!).  However, if a client was to try to access courses with their personal iPad they run into problems if they have the update.  This is also an issue if accessing Review. My personal iPad Pro has the update to the latest iOS  and I tried the SAFARI "Request Desktop Website" fix from Leslie and it worked with our LMS and solved the Review issue.  I have attached a graphic to this note that shows how to do this. 

Katie Riggio

Hi, Jay. So sorry you're running into that!

We haven't seen reports of audio not playing on an iPhone with iOS 13, so I'm glad you reached out. A few key questions to help us investigate:

• What version of Storyline 360 are you using? You can find this detail by clicking on the Help tab, then About Storyline.
  • Is this happening in all browsers, or just with Safari?
  • How are you publishing the content–Web, LMS, or something else?
Vincent Scoma

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share some good news!

We just launched the newest version of Storyline 360 (Build 3.34.20804.0) this morning, which fixed audio issues for iPadOS 13 devices.

The next step is to update Storyline 360 by heading to your Articulate 360 desktop app and clicking "Update" next to Storyline 360.

As always, we are happy to answer any questions you have by posting in this discussion or you can contact our Support Engineers directly.

Chris Trefz

Hi Ren, I just wanted to give you and the community and update. It turned out the source of the audio problem was muting the alarm on the ipad.

Doing so would still allow things like youtube videos to play with sound, so we didn't originally think it could be connected. But through trial and error, we found that un-muting the alarm restored reviewer audio. Go figure...

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.