Review 360 not overwriting existing version when publishing Storyline

Feb 16, 2021

I recently updated Articulate 360 and I am having an issue when publishing an updated version of a Storyline file. I want it to "Publish a new version of an existing item." When I publish and view a file it seems fine to me, but I discovered instead of maintaining the original link, it is creating a brand new one. This has never happened before and it is not good. Unfortunately for me, it has caused a high-level exec. to get really upset as they are clicking the link I sent them originally and expecting updates and not seeing them because the link is no longer good and has been replaced with a new link each time I publish "a new version of an existing item."

4 Replies
Becca Levan

Hi Dawn -

So sorry you're experiencing this unexpected behavior — I see how this would cause frustration!

Let's make sure I understand what you’re describing so I can help get this sorted out for you — Sounds like you're getting a different Review 360 link each time you publish a new version of an existing project from Storyline?

• Are you selecting the correct item under the Publish a new version of an existing project drop-down list? 
  • Are you able to see multiple versions of the same course in Review 360?

If this is the case, and you're taking the same steps as I did in this Peek recording, connect with our support team to take a closer look at why this is happening!

Dawn Chamberlin

Hi Becca,

I am selecting the correct option; I leave it at the default which is the correct option. I have been using Storyline since version 1, so that was the first thing I checked. I did see that both files with this issue did create additional files in Review. I tried to uninstall Storyline and got a message that there was another instance of Storyline open; however, Storyline was not open locally--I checked in my Task Manager and there was no instance showing. I determined that there was a ghost copy of the file open in OneDrive. I ended up rebooting, uninstalling Articulate 360 and reinstalling the 360 apps. All seems to be working fine now. OneDrive has caused other issues with Storyline in the past. Rather aggravating, because I can't just click the Save button now to save a file, I have to do a "Save As" and follow the full path to the local drive folder to save. Also, Storyline autosave will sometimes get hijacked by OneDrive and save it up there, which causes Storyline to crash. I am only sharing this in case anyone else runs into similar issues. 😀

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Dawn,

I appreciate you chiming in with an update and I'm glad you were able to get back up and running properly.

You should always save and publish all of your Articulate Storyline files and projects to your local hard drive, which is typically your C: drive. Working on a network drive or an external (USB) drive can cause erratic behavior due to latency, which is the amount of time it takes for the information to traverse the systems. As a result, your files might become corrupted, you could be unable to save changes, or your application might “freeze” altogether.

If you need to copy your project over to a network drive or a USB drive for backup or versioning purposes, only do it once you’ve saved the file and exited the Storyline application. Do not reopen the project file until it’s finished copying.

Dawn Chamberlin

Thanks Leslie. I am aware of your advice. I do everything locally and have been doing it that way for many years. The problem stems from my OneDrive hijacking my SL files when SL does an autosave. There is an issue with my OneDrive, so I have to turn it off completely. Somehow, it had turned back on, which I discovered as I was trying to uninstall and reinstall SL. I got a message there was still an instance open, but when I looked in Task Manager, it was not showing an open instance of SL. That is when I realized that OneDrive had turned itself on and created a mirror of the file during an autosave instance. I turned off OneDrive, rebooted to kill the OneDrive instance, uninstalled SL and reinstalled it. All has been good since then. I literally have to manually "save as" directly to the local folder every 5-10 minutes and when I close a file so I don't lose work.  We (Articulate and me) discovered last year that OneDrive was also crashing, corrupting my files thus the reason OneDrive always has to be turned off. Hopefully, this info will help others who may experience the same issue.