Review emails and notifications?

Feb 03, 2020

If a SME makes a comment on a slide, and then I also make a comment, do they get an email or notification? I just realized that for my own organization I go in and make a note each time I address a change (so I can track which ones I've addressed). I don't want them to get an annoying email every time I do that. Is there a way to turn off notifications?

21 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jeni,

If you respond to their comment that'll trigger a notification. If you add your own comment separate from their response that won't send an email notification to your SMEs, as the initial comment notifications only go to the course author.

Notifications are controlled on an individual basis, so your SMEs would need to update their notification settings to stop receiving those.

Hope that helps! 

Jeni Johnson

Thanks.

Unfortunately, this isn't an intuitive or quick process (having to go back to review, find the slide, then comment). It would be a much better tool if Articulate gave us the option to either turn off email notifications to SMEs or some sort of "resolved" button to address comments. 

Vincent Scoma

Hi Jeni,

Great question! 

Since all reviewers receive email notifications only when someone replies to their comments or @mentions them, the notification settings would need to be changed on an individual basis.

To change notification settings, an SME would need to create a free Articulate ID. This guide provides more details on this process: Subscribe to Projects and Change Notification Settings

Please let us know if you have any questions! 

Jeni Johnson

Unfortunately, this is a huge deal-breaker for Review 360. Our SMEs don't want to sign up for an account or have unwanted emails in their inbox. It would be great if there was a way for them to either opt-out without an account or to just not get notification emails at all. The only person who needs to know if comments were made is the developer. 

Vincent Scoma

Hi Jeni,

I appreciate you sharing these insights! I am more than happy to share these details with our team about having SME's without Articulate ID's adjust their notification settings. I also wanted to share a bit more about how we work to prioritize feature requests

To clarify a bit further, the only time an SME would receive an email notification is if someone responds to their comment or @mentions them. If neither of those criteria are met, then the SME will not be notified via email. 

What might help as well is to resolve the comments that have been addressed or are no longer relevant. That way, the comment or thread will either disappear or fade into the background, depending on your settings. This guide provides some more details on Resolving Comments

Please let me know if you have any other questions! I am happy to help! 

Jeni Johnson

In our process we reply to each comment to say how it was addressed. We've found this is the best way to ensure that comments are addressed and keep a record of what we have changed as a result of SME requests. We don't want them to receive a notification each time we do this on a comment. 

R Pursey

Please add our voice to the report on this. We use Review with large stakeholder groups, some of whom are neither L&D nor IT people. They are very frustrated by the amount of notifications they receive from Review. It makes us hesitant to use Review properly for tracking (i.e. noting what has been done to resolve a particular feedback item before marking it as resolved so we have a record). They are unlikely to create an account - they are often either unwary of giving their details to a third party or are frustrated by an additional step. 

Ideally, they would be prompted to decide how to manage comments the first time they comment on a particular module (without the need to create an account). They would be given the options of:

• Receiving notifications of all comments on threads they have started or contributed to
  • Having a daily summary of  all comments on threads they have started or contributed to
  • Having a daily summary of all comments on the project (for those in a stakeholder management role)
  • No notifications

It would also be good to give them the separate option to toggle on or off immediate notification of comments/responses using @theirname.

We would also like the functionality to let the person who published the module to Review make the decision about notifications to commenters.