82 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Alex,

What are you using as a content repository? Is it drive that could be shared with users given certain permissions?

If so, you could use an Embed/URL block to either link to or embed the repository right within a Rise blocks lesson. That way, any files you change or update in the repository will be automatically accessible in the Rise course. 

David Tait
Michelle Allan

This is a very exciting and useful addition, but why can't we choose the title to display? File names for the web normally don't have any spaces and aren't always easy to read in that format, even with dashes or underscores. In fact, when you upload a document called something like ''Document.docx’, you download a file called something like ‘wnjrnr4w_9C78w8h-document.docx’, which is a very long and unclear file name.

I'd find it helpful if we could rename the display title of the documents too.

Wout Verhoeven

Hi all, 

Is this also possible in SL3? I know that I can upload documents in the resources tab from the player. But I am using an 'empty' player and have a resources layer in the module itself where I want learners to click on the PDF icon for instant download (not hyperlink). Any ideas? 

thanks in advance!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Wout,

If you're looking at adding Resources onto a slide in Storyline, you can still use the Resource tab to make this a bit easier. You'll want to follow the steps here to add the files to your Resource tab and then you can create links to the files on individual slides. 

The Resource tab will need to be enabled only on one slide in the course to generate that folder in your output. So you can also set that to appear on one slide within the slide properties by using the "custom player settings" and learners never need to see that slide if you don't add triggers to direct anyone there. 

If you need a PDF icon, check out some of the downloadable assets we've shared here in the E-Learning Heroes community!  

Carmen Gonzalez

This is an awesome addition and we are enjoying being able to incorporate it into our courses. What we are wondering isif there is a way to make the attachment (into a homework assignment) something we grade / track without taxing the client by requiring them to use Articulate Storyline (storyline blocks) or an outside uploading and tracking portal (Litmos / Canvas / Blackboard)? This would put the icing on this cake :D Thanks for all you do.

Vivayic Inc.

Hi, this feature is very helpful, however it doesn't appear to support Numbers files ('.numbers' extensions).  When I try uploading them they show up as code in the attachment field.  I can do the zip upload, but the goal was to allow users to open the file on their phone.  Any recommendations on how to add those?

Allison LaMotte

Hi there,

I'm sorry you've run into an issue here. Thanks for reaching out to us and letting us know about it. It looks like another user reported this to us as well, so it's on our radar. I'll share any updates with you here.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!

Eric Franks

Hey, is there a way to make the attachment mandatory within a block?  Right now, limiting the continue button will allow the learner to bypass the attachment as long as they scroll through the block.  I don't want to make a separate block for it because I don't want it to show up in the menu.  Any suggestions?  

I've already put in a feature request but thought I'd query the community.

John Smith

Works fine for me in SCORM Cloud, however once the course is loaded in our LMS, we are unable to download the attachment. It's a 122kb word document. I get an error message that says:

File not found

An error occurred during a connection to your server

Check the file name for capitalization or other typing errors.
Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Crystal Horn

Hi John. Thanks for those details. If your output works in SCORM Cloud but gives you an error in your LMS, you'll want to check in with the LMS support to see if they can give specific guidance on what is preventing the download.

We're happy to have a closer look, too! If you can share your work with us, upload your SCORM package here to my team. Tell us what LMS you're using, and we'll delete your files when we're done troubleshooting on our end.

Jessica Wyatt

Hi, When we add a PDF using this function and click download, it opens automatically over the course content (in Chrome). There isn't a back button so students have to close the window and reopen the course which starts from the beginning. Is there a setting that makes downloads open in a new tab? Thanks. 

Lieve Horemans

Hi, I would like to come back on Michelle Allan's post:

"...when you upload a document called something like ''Document.docx’, you download a file called something like ‘wnjrnr4w_9C78w8h-document.docx’, "

What do I have to do so that the learner also sees document.docx in stead of the long name (on donwloading the file)?

Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Lieve!

Rise 360 used to attach a unique identifier to files in the attachment block, resulting in extra characters added to the beginning of the file name. We made an improvement to remove the identifier, ensuring that extra characters were not added to the file name when the learner downloads the file.

How long ago was this course created? Do you notice that the extra characters are not added to file names in a new Rise 360 course?