Accessibility - Reduce Motion

Feb 04, 2023

Can you support the Reduce Motion accessibility option in the Rise editor so the nauseating "smooth scroll / slide" effect isn't as prominent when editing and moving block around?

4 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi there, Tim. I appreciate you shining some light on accessibility for content creators!

In order to provide the greatest value to our customers, our first priority is to improve the accessibility of published output for your learners. While we don't have a timeline set for when we can start making the authoring experience fully compliant with accessibility guidelines, we're making incremental progress. Accessible authoring is on our radar for inclusion in our roadmap.

Tim St. Clair

I actually made myself a bookmarklet which I run every time I launch Rise. It overrides the scroll function to turn off the nauseating slippy/slidey effect when inserting blocks. I made this by creating a new bookmark, adding it to the URL field, then clicking it each time I load Rise. Less vertigo = better production IMHO.

javascript: (function(){window.scrollTo=window.scrollBy=window.scroll=function(){}})();

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Tim,

We've made an update today that I hope serves folks better! We’ve taken additional steps to respect when users enable reduced motion settings on their devices:

• For authors, when inserting a new block or lesson outline entry, automatic scrolling doesn’t occur.
  • For learners, block entrance animations are ignored when reduced motion settings are enabled on their devices, even if the setting’s enabled for the content they’re viewing.