Add Hotspot or Interactivity to Images in Rise

Jan 22, 2017

Is there any way to add hotspot or some form of interactivity to an image in Rise ?

There are couple of interactive elements which i would like to build in Rise as follows :

a) For example there is an image of an office room with a door. Once the user clicks on the door it will go to the next slide. Can i build this simple interaction in Rise ?

b) A slide contains two objects which will show a different content (layer in case of Storyline) for each when user clicks on them. Only they can proceed to next slide if they have viewed both contents (or clicked both images).

33 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Abhishek, 

Great questions and it's always interesting and informative for us to see the ways in which customers such as yourself are working with Rise and the features. 

a)  For this one, you may want to look at some of the branching ideas that Zsolt has shared. He's really created some custom, outside the box ideas for determining a specific path for a user through the interaction. There isn't currently a built in auto-advance within Rise, but if that's a feature you'd like to see please share your thoughts with our Product team here. 

b) Have you looked at using a labelled graphic for this? The individual objects could be combined in one image outside of Rise and then you'd add the appropriate markers for the user to click on to see more content. You can then set the navigation within the Rise course to be restricted and that will require that users click on all the slide elements before they are able to proceed to the next slide. This is an overall course setting, so you'll want to keep that in mind for other interactions you set up.

Hope that those ideas get you started and keep us posted on your results or other needs! 

Hi Paul,

Glad to hear you're enjoying Articulate so far! Which tool were you looking to create this quiz in? You posted in Rise, but I wanted to make sure! Currently the quizzes are multiple choice and our team is working on additional quiz types to begin rolling out in the next few months. We'll keep folks posted here in the ELH forums when those are ready and you may also want to keep an eye on the "What's new" page. 

If you're able to use Storyline or Quizmaker for this course, all of them have an built in option for hotspots and hotspot quizzes. Here's a link to a tutorial on how to set those up in Storyline and in Quizmaker. 

VIAVI Sales Enablement
Ashley Terwilliger

Have you looked at using a labelled graphic for this? The individual objects could be combined in one image outside of Rise and then you'd add the appropriate markers for the user to click on to see more content.

Hi, Ashley. This appears to be a fairly recent thread and is something I am also interested in, so I am adding here rather than starting a new one. Our problem with the labeled graphic suggestion you gave Abhishek is that we have a device whose buttons/interface get completely covered up with plus + signs, and that's not helpful or instructive since the actual interface/buttons is the very content we are trying to teach -- plus it just isn't especially "cool-looking." To design this in Storyline would be a lot more labor-intensive, a fact for which I can vouch because I started exploring this myself recently ... phew, lotta work! Rise makes it so much faster and is far easier to update "on the fly" as changes occur.

Transparent hotspots instead of the current opaque "markers"/buttons in Rise would look far better -- or even translucent, empty gray/beige/neutral circles (without  i  +  ^  symbols in the middle) could even suffice. Is this something customers have asked for as a Rise feature request, which I would imagine would be the case given this thread? I checked and Rise doesn't seem to have offered any new types of markers since I last used them. And actually, it's a shame the "pulsing," translucent circles which currently appear around the markers' symbols+opaque-white-circles/borders would be amply cool ... if only there was nothing inside them, covering up whatever is underneath in the image.

If nobody has asked yet, what is the easiest and fastest way for you or me to turn this thread's Q&A exchange into a Rise feature request? Thanks!

Hi Michael,

I can't think of a lot of other requests for hotspot markers that I've seen in ELH, but as you can imagine there is a lot of discussions happening here! Sharing in a forum discussion or as a part of feature request using this form are the two avenues to get it into our Product team's hands so that they can evaluate, prioritize and then design what's to come! 

It's also a good point about designing in Storyline vs. Rise. They are different tools, with a different purpose and functionality so you may want to take a look at the information here in terms of how the pros are using each and maybe go the Storyline route if that'll truly allow for everything you need today? 

Thanks Paul for chiming in - I haven't seen a lot of requests for this since Michael's last message. I'd love to know more about what you'd like it to look like? How would it appear on the image? How would you want users to know where to click? 

Currently the marker options that you can choose from are shown here: 

Jean Luyben

Thanks, Ashley. I see that I can change the colour of the markers when they’re highlighted, but when they’re on the image and not highlighted they’re difficult to find. They’re all white with a narrow outline. When they’re on an image that’s largely white (like most of my screenshots), they don’t stand out. On your sample image they’re on a blue sky, so they look good.

Good feedback, Jean! So in a perfect world, you'd want to change the icon/border color in addition to the background color? Still letting those items toggle colors once selected? 

We're always look at new features (or updates to existing features) so customer input is vital in that process! I don't see any other requests yet on this color - but I'd love to to share this with our product team or if you wanted to offer more specifics feel free to send along herefeature request

Hi Shilpa, 

A few folks have asked about an option to convert an existing labeled graphic into one that you can use in a group of blocks, so we've passed that idea along to our team. In the meantime, any images will have to inserted again to your labeled graphic block. You could copy and paste text over though! 

It looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

Crystal Horn

Hey Nichola!  To make sure we're on the same page, would you like to jump to other Rise lessons from within your Storyline file?  The hyperlinks in your Storyline file will open a new browser tab rather than redirect to a different lesson in Rise.

It sounds like you're looking for some cool and different ways to have learners navigate through your course without just relying on the sidebar menu or your navigational controls at the top and bottom of each lesson.  Check out this example of a branched scenario.  It might give you some inspiration on alternate navigation possible in Rise!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.