Anyone else experiencing bookmarking issues for Rise content after the April 29, 2021 Release?

Jul 15, 2021

We are experiencing an issue with extra long Rise 360 courses on our SCORM 1.2 engine - where they are not bookmarking correctly. We increase suspend data to 64,000 and it does NOT resolve the issue.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Reference: https://articulate.com/support/article/Rise-Version-History

Led me to: https://community.articulate.com/series/rise-360/articles/rise-360-share-a-course-with-learners?_ga=2.30477759.1461406639.1626370594-1711736033.1598909956#lms-reset

13 Replies
Renz Sevilla

Hi Brett! Thanks for reaching out! 

For reference, SCORM 1.2 is limited to 4,096 characters. Here's a handy chart for reference:

The SCORM standards give the following lengths for the suspend_data element:

Standard Characters
SCORM 1.2 4,096
SCORM 2004 2nd Edition 4,000
SCORM 2004 3rd Edition 64,000
SCORM 2004 4th Edition 64,000

Please try exporting for SCORM 2004, if your LMS supports this. If this doesn't fix the issue, you can test your course in SCORM Cloud and see if the issue persists in this environment. If so please open a support case here, and one of our customer support engineers will work with you directly to troubleshoot the issue. 

Brett Gibson

Our LMS uses a SCORM 1.2 Engine and does not plan on changing this. You are saying there is no other way around this? Almost like Articulate never planned on Rise working for SCORM 1.2 Engines. It's not like SCORM 1.2 is a technology that is being phased out like Flash was, so why not make it work for all SCORM Engines?

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks, Brett! I'm not familiar with your particular LMS's settings, so I would suggest reaching out to their support team if the course still isn't bookmarking correctly after adjusting the ScormPackageProperties.

Our team is also here to help you test your file in an LMS-testing tool called SCORM Cloud.  If you're curious about how your course behaves in another environment, you can send us your file here, and we'll let you know what we find. 

Craig Bunyea

Was there any patch or follow-up to this case? I have a client experiencing the same inconsistent bookmarking in their LMS where the course is 7 lessons of only about 6 pages each, but published as a 1.2 package. I'm seeing this in the SCORM logs:
'cmi.core.suspend_data may not be greater than 4096 characters, your value is 4246 characters