Attached PDFs that open in a new window

Jun 26, 2019

Is there a way to use the Attachment block to upload a pdf that opens in a new tab on click? As far as I can tell, you can only make them download which is an issue for users on some platforms. Is there a way to change this?

12 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hey Josh and Julio!

Rise 360 used to attach a unique identifier to files in the attachment block, resulting in extra characters added to the beginning of the file name. We made an improvement to remove the identifier, ensuring that extra characters were not added to the file name when the learner downloads the file.

For the browser to open a file in a new tab, it has to find the file by its real name, which includes the extra characters. Now that we've removed the extra characters from the file name, the browser will automatically download the file.

Catherine Chachere

I need to open a pdf in a new window so the learner to go back to the original launch screen.  Currently, when the learner clicks, and the pdf opens.  But, when the learner clicks to close the document, the entire course closes.  How can I get the pdf to close and the learner stay on the original launch screen?

Lea Agato

Hi Catherine, I would love to better understand what’s happening when your learners are opening the pdf so we can help you with this issue:

1. Is the course hosted on an LMS, or are your learners viewing the course using the share link from Rise?
  2. Is the PDF added to your course as an attachment block or as a multimedia embed block?
  3. What browsers are your learners using when viewing the course?
  4. Does the issue happen when the learners use a different browser?

I can take a closer look at your issue once I have this info.  Thanks!