18 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hey folks!

We've seen the topic of "autoplay audio" in Rise come up here in the forums before, and whether or not audio automatically plays can certainly be a personal preference. As Adam mentioned in this thread, we didn't include this feature because it's not a web-standard experience on multiple devices. However, we love to hear your thoughts on the topic, as this helps us keep the conversation going with our product team!

Jim Morgan

This is absolutely something that we could use.  Actually this is the one item stopping use from utilizing this for our full time development of courses.  Storyline is awesome but Rise is the way to go for responsive designs.

Even is someone had a back end hack that would allow us to edit the source of Courses output from rise and adding a line or two of code to play the files automatically would be an awesome option.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

I haven't seen a back end hack for this yet, Jim, but if we do we'll let you know. In the meantime, if you didn't already submit a feature request, I'd love to have you share the specifics with our product team  here! It's incredibly helpful to know exactly how this would impact your course development. 

Hi Michael, 

Are you thinking that the user would select their choice at the beginning of the course and that setting would carry throughout?

It's also important to keep in mind that lots of browsers are disabling autoplay as well, Safari has already taken this step (which is impacting Storyline and Studio) and I believe Chrome is next.  As Alyssa (and Adam) shared previously, we chose to not include it as an option in Rise, because it's not standard across devices. 

I’ll still be happy to pass your insight on to our product team, and would love a bit more detail from you - but you can also feel free to provide more detail in a feature request

Michael Fimian

Hi Ashley, How are you doing these days!

I was thinking more in terms of the ID being able to make the decision to turn autoplay to on for, say, the audio added at the button level of the Interactive Graphic interactions, so when the user clicks on a button, the popup appears and the audio starts automatically. So it would be focussed, targetted decision to make some elements auto and keep the rest static...

But, as you say, it may all be a moot point with the pending browser changes over the next year or so...

Related to that, is there anything to expect in terms of changes in our published and posted Storylines?

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Michael,

I imagine she's doing pretty good right now as she's taken a few days for herself, so she's not working right now :)

I appreciate you popping back in to clarify your thoughts and share how you would use this feature.

I apologize, but I'm not following your subsequent question regarding 'published and posted Storylines'? Are you asking about changes as the browsers roll out changes? We are continuing to monitor changes and impacts to best decide how to handle these things. I do not have a solid answer to share at this time.

Michael Fimian

Hi Leslie, long time no talk!  How are you doing these days?

Yes to your last comment; Ashley and I were talking about using audio autoplay, and how that would change with some of the proposed changes on the horizon for some of the prominent browsers later this year.  That segued to my question as the whether that might affect the Storylines we have posted on the web...

Hi Michael, 

The changes we're seeing in updated browsers such as Chrome and Safari will also impact older, published content as you'll see noted here and here. Luckily for the latest versions of Articulate 360, we've already rolled out a fix in the Articulate software, and we're working on a fix for earlier versions as well or use the settings mentioned in those articles to update the Chrome/Safari behavior.

Jay Mistry

Hello - can you confirm if autoplay audio content has been added to (Rise) Articulate 360.  I really want to narrate some of the content and would like this to start play as you move to the next section instead of having the user click to start the audio.  I also have a use case where the narrated content would be more than the text shown as we don't want all modules becoming text content-heavy - hence please confirm if this is planned for anytime soon.