Beginner's Question - What is SCORM?

Oct 25, 2018

Hi all,

I have been using Rise for roughly 3 months now to create short courses as well as some technical documentation. I work for a company that creates e-learning material in Rise which is then posted to our company's internal learning management system. 

Although I have found many useful questions and answers regarding more specific/advanced aspects of SCORM packaging, I really would like to understand the basics of it and how it relates to Rise. I see SCORM 1.2. listed in the Rise settings and just want to get a better idea of what it all means. This is my first intro to such a topic and mainly work as a Technical Writer uploading PDFs to a separate knowledge base site. Therefore, my knowledge of LMS is very limited. Thanks so much for your help.

1 Reply
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Maham,

No worries at all - we've got you covered with our E-Learning ABCs series! Here's the definition and link to more information about SCORM: 

Sharable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM) is a collection of standards and specifications used for e-learning. It defines communications between the published content created in the authoring software and the hosting environment, which is most commonly an LMS (Learning Management System).

You can export Rise courses for AICC, SCORM 1.2, SCORM 2004, and Tin Can API (xAPI) learning management systems. So a few different options to choose from - do you know which of those your internal LMS supports?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.