Best way to sell Articulate Rise course

Apr 13, 2017

I am looking to create courses with Articulate Rise and sell them using a subscription and one-time payment model. Tracking is a nice-to-have, but certainly not a requirement. 

Any suggestions?

32 Replies
Tom Glodek

Thanks, the problem with Wordpress is that they have a 2 MB limit on the file size that can be uploaded. In addition, Wordpress does not protect your intellectual property from Piracy, so unless you want to have your course become freeware, Wordpress is not a very good option.  I am looking for LMS which are hosted and which don't have conditions which grant them carte blanche authority to use your courses indiscriminately without royalty fees. 

Phil Mayor

If you are going to sell your own courses I would expect you would host your own installation and have full control and own your copryright.  If you want an LMS there are lots of commercial cloud based LMSs that allow you to sell your courses, you could look at learn upon or perhaps have a branded version of Moodle with a storefront integrated it all depends on what you want to spend.

Tom Glodek

I searched for learndash from within WordPress but did not find it, however, when I searched the internet I did find it at https://www.learndash.com. It is a premium wordpress pluin that works with most modern wordpress themes. They have three pricing options which  can be found at https://www.learndash.com/pricing-and-purchase/.  From $159 for a single site license to $329 for unlimited site license, but they have special pricing right now, so you may want to check it out. They do not have a free trail period, but they may be willing to refund if it doesn't work for you but you better read the fine print on that.   Hope this helps.  But you are still limited by the 2MB file size limit that WordPress imposes, ugh.

Stephen OHearn

Actually WordPress doesn't have an internal 2 mb upload limit, Wordrpess.org may, (I think that is what you are referring to) but if you host your WordPress site on an independent web server (Godaddy, Blue Host etc) then you can upload files as large as 64 mgs. Also you won't have any IP issues since you exclusively own and control the content.

Just wanted to clarify that for people.

Cheers,
Steve  

Tom Glodek

Thanks for the feedback Steve, however, whenever I attempt to drag and drop a file that is larger than 2 MB into the import file section of Wordpress I receive an error that states file size exceeds 2 MB limit.   I do not host on a Wordpress site. I host on  GoDaddy and I installed the version of Wordpress that came with the hosting plan.   Is this some setting  that I need to configure or something else / Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

Tom

Stephen OHearn

Hi Tom, 

You hit the nail on the head. It is an internal web server setting. I just have to remember how I did it. ( I added mine years ago) 

It is fairly technical, but one of these suggestions should work.

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-increase-the-maximum-file-upload-size-in-wordpress/

Here is a youtube video that shows you how as well,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K7Z3SzVAIo

Cheers, 
Steve 

Tom Glodek

Thanks Steve for all the help and the links ! Greatly Appreciated !

I reached out to Godaddy support and they walked me through the settings changes which are located in the control panel in my account.  I needed to change the file size to 128 MB as well as the timeout setting to 300 seconds to allow larger files to be uploaded without timing out.

Thanks again !

We are fortunate to have someone like you helping us novices !

Tom

Tom Glodek

Here are the four PHP settings highlighted in bold that will allow you to upload large file sizes in Wordpress if you have a GoDaddy Hosting account. You have to go to your control panel then scroll doen to select phpVersion, then you will be able to click on each individual setting type in your desired settings then click save on the lower left .

These setting s will be applied to all domains under that particular cPanel.

allow_url_fopen On
display_errors Off
error_reporting E_ALL
file_uploads On
include_path .:/opt/alt/php56/usr/share/pear:/opt/alt/php56/usr/share/php
log_errors On
mail.force_extra_parameters no value
max_execution_time 300 
max_input_time -1
memory_limit 128M
open_basedir no value
post_max_size 128M
session.save_path /tmp
short_open_tag On
upload_max_filesize 128M

I hope this helps everyone.

Thanks for all the great guidance and feedback !

Tom

Kelli Porcaro

So am I understanding this correctly....I would like to host a series of Rise Courses on my website. I have a wordpress site that is hosted by 1&1.  I would like to sell the courses, and make sure that someone can't share their username and password so that others can also access the courses. I would also like to do some reporting for my clients on number of people accessing the courses, completion, etc. It sounds like Learn Dash could be a good option. Is that correct?