Best way to translate courses into several languages

Dec 19, 2018

Hi all,

I work for a translation agency preparing Rise files for translation. When the courses are to be translated into several languages, we need to make a duplicate of the course and extract the xlfs for translation for every target language, which is very time consuming. I would like to know if there is a way to export the content just once and then import the content for every language without overwriting them each time.

Any ideas are welcome! Thanks!

9 Replies
EW SDL International Plc

Hi Allison,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed the workflow is not very efficient and there should be a way to export the content just once for translation into several languages and them re-importing the translated content into the different language versions...

Please keep me updated. 

Thanks and kind regards,

Elisa

EW SDL International Plc

Hi Antoinette,

No other issues in general (that I can think of now) other than having to create a duplicate per language and extract the content 10 times in your case to make sure each later import will work with the corresponding duplicate... :-/

On the other hand, if any of your 10 languages is RTL (Ar, He...) then you will have issues to show the content correctly. There is another thread about this ;-)

Kind regards,

Elisa

Hillary Robinson

I too work for a company that translates most courses into approximately 8 languages. The process for translation, especially of text to speech, is very time consuming and cumbersome. Maybe I am missing a feature? The export and import of the word file works well, with the exception of the mentioned text to speech. Any plans on an update? We actually have a platform that handles this for courses we create in our LMS. If your team is interested we could arrange a call or meeting to understand how the feature works for us. 

Chris Roetzer

I really like to avoid altering the topic too much in a thread but sometimes posting on older threads doesn't get much attention, so with that 'mea culpa', here goes (but yes it's on translation!)

Allison/Nicole, is there a resource (release notes doc or something) itemizing what's in/not in the translation export file (we're still on SL2 but hoping 360 in a couple months) and the general logic to the order of the rows? For example, I thought layer names were in the export but not seeing them so suppose not.

We're also looking for tips to more easily find specific items. For example, the Identifier tag includes '.note' for content on a notes tab - simple enough.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Chris,

Not to worry - we're here to help no matter the topic! 😉

Within a Storyline export for translation, you'll see the logic as follows in our XLIFF and Word exports:

• Scene name as it appears in story view

• Slide content

• Slide name as it appears in story view

• Slide notes

• Layer content

and at the end of the file:

• Project title
  • Titles of player resources
  • Glossary terms and definitions
  • Scene and slide titles as they appear in the player menu

As for Identifiers, we use: 

- Title for the project title and player resources
- Term for glossary term
- Definition for glossary definition
- Name for all scene and slide names
- Note for slide notes

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.