Block Templates and Custom Font/Color

Jan 02, 2019

Hello! 

I recently created a Rise template for my team, but it only seems to save the blocks. When the feature was introduced, it was advertised that the font/color will save, but when I select the template I customized, all the colors/fonts reverted back to Rise's default. 

Am I doing something incorrectly, or is this not a current feature with block templates? 

8 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Melissa,

Great question! Block templates don't save the font and color of the original course, they use the font and color that are set for the course they are being inserted into. So if your course color is blue when I create the template, but you use it in a new course that has the course color set to orange, the colors in the block will be orange. 

I hope that makes sense! 

Jessica Dias

Just adding to this question. I have created a 'blank course' and put in the custom font colour in settings. When adding blocks, the custom font colour do not come across and I need to manually change the font colour in each block I add. Is there way to set it up so the custom font is automatic for all added blocks, not just the overall theme?

Christine B

+1 one for being able to define a brand style template.

I manage a team of trainers (who are not designers or LXD/IDs) and I would LOVE to provide them with a single default template containing all of our brand colors, fonts, etc rather than ask them to manually recreate the wheel for every. single. course.

Karl Muller

Hi Christine,

Here is how we handle that situation.

We've created a template Rise course that has been set up with the correct fonts, icons, background image, labels, navigation, corporate color, and export settings.

Whenever we start a new Rise course, I copy the template course, rename it, and add the required collaborators. 

We also have an extensive Block Template library that has been styled and formatted, and these templates are available to all team members. 

So between the template course and the Block Templates, we very rarely use a default block.

As every block type we use already has a predefined template, it saves a huge amount of development time, and also ensures style consistency between different team members.

Christine B

That is exactly the workaround I'm starting to build out right now. It's great to hear this approach has been validated elsewhere!

I'm the first-ever LXD at my company, so there are lots of processes to define. And while I don't want to be a bottleneck, I do like the idea of having access to all course settings going forward.