Can't click onto the Next Section Rise course on mobile phone

Nov 27, 2017

When we view our Rise Courses on iPhone, sometimes we can click on the next sections button and sometimes we can't. More often than not we can't. Has anyone else experienced this?

35 Replies
Julie O'Connor

Hi,

Yes, I'm using Safari iOS 11.1.2, and I have checked that the navigation is set to free navigation.

It only seems to happen the first time I view a course. If I view it again I can click on the next session buttons and it works every time.

I hope that helps and we can resolve this.

Many thanks,

Julie.

Julie O'Connor

Hi,

Our LMS providers couldn't find the issue with this either unfortunately so I am in need of more help! I have noticed though when I view and preview this course in Rise on my mobile I get the same issue so it looks like it is a Rise issue after all.

I have recently changed phones to the iPhone x and it still happens but I get a message saying Browser not supported. However, the Rise documentation says iOS 8 and later are supported? Can you test please https://rise.articulate.com/share/4U5J6_ijPHNrMVbaQ05uvQ9MfyFDEgIo

When I try to move on using the"Next Section" button to Section 7 from 6 is where I see the problem. The button only appears half on the screen and when I click on it the screen just jumps back up to the start of the image and won't move on.

Julie O'Connor

Hi,

Your recording is how we want it to look but you will see on my recording that the "Next Section 7" button on the bottom of Section 6 only appears slightly on the page and it is very difficult to click on. Please see attached recording.

Thanks,

Julie.

Julie O'Connor

That is odd because I am also using iOS11.2.2. Are you using Safari? I keep getting this message saying the current browser isn't supported too!

Even when previewing the course in Rise I get problems moving on to the next section. See the attached video.

Thanks,

Julie.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Thanks Julie for that video - it was just the clue we needed! 

We only support authoring of Rise on laptop and desktop computers, not touchscreen devices. Take a look at the supported browsers here.  

Once you've got the course ready to share with learners (or even want to test on your own devices) grab the Share link to send to your phone, or look at the other options to share a Rise course here through a  Learning Management System (LMS) or webserver. 

Julie O'Connor

HI,

OK so it is the authoring that is not supported. And if I use the share link it views and moves on fine on my mobile and it also does in Scorm Cloud but when viewed through my LMS I see the same problems as I see in your preview. I really need to fix this, so I'm not sure where to go from here, any ideas?

Thanks

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Julie,

When you're launching the course in your LMS, did you use one of the Export options fo LMS? 

If it's launching and working in SCORM Cloud that's a good indicator that the course is loading correctly in an industry standard for LMSs, and then I'd suggest touching base with your LMS admin. 

It may be something as simple as using a different SCORM export option, or how the LMS displays content for mobile devices - but the LMS admin will be the best resource for that! 

Julie O'Connor

Yes, I export it for LMS. I have tried Tin Can and 1.2 with no difference. We have asked our LMS providers and they don't have an issue when testing the course either. So it remains a mystery. If we get too many instances of this though whilst recreating all our courses in Rise we will have to abort!

The really odd thing I find is that when I view the preview, with mobile selected. I can see the same errors on there. That seems because the browser on my mobile is not supported by Articulate Rise Authoring. So maybe it is browser not supported that is the issue here?

Thanks

Kimberly Loughlin

I have ALWAYS had this same problem on my iPhones (6 + 7 plus)! Rise does not play well in iPhone especially in vertical mode (landscape works better). The next lesson button is not visible because it is under the banner of iPhone send options. Even if you pull it up forcefully a little, it bounces down so quickly you can't tap it. And this is with me KNOWING the next lesson button is there - a learner would be totally trapped. 

All past Rise courses we've done for clients we just put the stipulation it is better to do on a computer, however the courses I am working on now HAVE to be mobile ready. 

The other issue I've found is that the debriefs to quiz questions don't fully show up on the iPhone...only the first few lines. It makes it look like the debrief is over. This is a huge hold up as well since there is a lot of critical info given in our debriefs.

Please help!

PS - I am using the SHARE link when this all  happens.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Kimberly!

Thanks so much for your screenshot. It looks like you may have published your Rise course to Articulate 360, and you're viewing the Articulate 360 link from your mobile device. Is that correct?

To get a better idea of what your learners will see when they view your published course, try testing the Rise "Share" link instead. 

You mentioned you were having two issues, so I'd like to take a closer look at both of them:

1. Next lesson button is hidden: Here's a screen recording of a sample Rise course tested on an iPhone 6S iOS 11.3. As I tested that course, I did not have any issues navigating to the next lesson. 
  2. Quiz feedback text doesn't fully display: Here is another screen recording of how the quiz feedback appears when viewed from the same iPhone. As you can see, the full feedback text appears. 

As a next step, could you please test this sample Rise course on your iPhone and let me know if you have trouble navigating and seeing the quiz feedback? I'll be standing by!

Kimberly Loughlin

Hi -

I will reply to your questions in a follow up email.

Here is a watered down version of a course we did for you to test on an iphone. The androids seem to test OK and give a side-scroll bar for viewing long debriefs to quiz blocks. The iphones just crop off the end of the debriefs w/o a scroll option

Test 1: I made sure at the end of the marker/map block I typed the word "end" to double check if the entire marker description was visibile.

Test 2: I did the same for all of the question debriefs. Just answer whatever answer - and make sure your phone shows you the whole debrief answer (in portrait and landscape mode) so that you can see the word "end".

Test 3: The other iphone issue I was having appears to have been resolved by my iphone's latest update - but it is still scarry that a month older iphone version would not be able to play the course (the next button was not visible between lessons and the learner became trapped).

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Kimberely!

It looks like you published your Rise course to Articulate Review, and you're testing the review link on an iPhone. 

Publishing a Rise course to Articulate Review is perfect for gathering feedback from stakeholders, but you won't get a true picture of what learners will see when they take your course from a mobile device because the course is sitting inside of the Articulate Review tool.

To get a better idea of what the end user will see, use the Rise Share link. Here's a screenshot to show you what link I'm referring to. It will begin with https://rise.articulate.com/share...

Please send me the Rise Share link, and we'll go from there!

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks, Kimberly!

You mentioned that the issue you were seeing where you couldn't access the Next Lesson button is now resolved, is that right? The Next Lesson button did work correctly in my testing.

I did run into the problem where the question feedback text is cut off in both Portrait and Landscape mode, and I will certainly bring this bug up to our product team. As soon as this gets resolved, I'll be sure to notify you. Thanks so much for making us aware of this!

If you'd like to pop back in and remove those links from this thread, you can do that by clicking here, then click the Edit button under your posts.