Can we track progress in Rise or Articulate 360 from a web link

Feb 26, 2018

Hello!

I am new to this and trying to wrap my head around the best way to develop a course. I do not have an LMS, however I could host the web link from a server. Will my course have any tracking features in this and will the learner be able to pick up where they left off--or is it the same as sending them a link to open the course. Thanks for you help!

Heather

10 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

That's a great question, Heather!

When you publish your Rise course for Web-only, learners' progress won't be saved. If they launch your course more than once, their progress will be reset to 0% and they'll be taken back to the beginning of the course. 

The same thing happens if you host the course on Articulate Review. Here's a sample if you'd like to test it!

If you want learners to be able to resume where they left off, you'll need to export your Rise course as an LMS package. I know you mentioned you're not using a LMS, so hopefully the community can share alternative ideas with you!

Doug Miller

Hello Alyssa and Heather,

I also need information on publishing Rise content without an LMS but with progress tracking.

I have StoryLine content working from web links with tracking in our LRS but our authors are switching to Rise which generates a different file structure.

When I export from Rise in xAPI / TinCan format there are no HTML files to point to like there are in StoryLine.

If I upload the package to SCORM Cloud, the module launches fine and the URL contains "...Test_Rise_xAPI/0/index.html?actor=...". 

So, what files are getting generated by the LMS and from what data?

I've been searching but haven't found anything that documents this.  Can you point me to the right place to search?

Thanks,

Doug

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Doug,

Rise received an update towards the end of February to allow for you to host xAPI courses on any server and report statements to a learning record store (LRS). When I took a look at a course I exported, I did see the index.html file, which is what you'd point to within your site. Here's a screenshot of the file structure I saw:

As for what is generated by your LMS, I'd suggest reaching out to your LMS admin for additional details! They'll know best what type of data you can gather and how to pull it in a way that'll make sense for you. 

Doug Miller

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for the response.

I found that feature update in my searching, so I requested a new export from the person authoring our courses.  index.html still does not show up in her download. 

I created a quick test file and exported it.  There is no index.html there either.

See the screen shot below:

It's a web app so there shouldn't be a difference between Mac and PC but that's one thing I notice about your image vs mine.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Doug,

My team is looking into this issue - but in the meantime, they did share that you can use 7zip or a similar Zip application to unzip the published output folder and then you'll find a folder labeled "." and that's where the index.html file resides.

We'll figure out why there is a difference between the two outputs and let you know as soon as we can. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Jim,

Thanks for posting your question! Are you exporting the Rise course for No LMS - Web Only? 

If so, web-only courses will always start over from the beginning.  The resume feature functions in a LMS environment.

Other folks have asked about adding resume to web-only Rise courses, so we're tracking the need!  You can submit a feature request here as well.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.