Can you crop an image in Rise?

Jun 15, 2018

Silly question! ideally I'd like to crop directly from the content library. Is this possible? If not, am I best to crop in PowerPoint and re-save?

15 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Libby,

Great question, no silliness to it. If you insert images in Rise they may be cropped by the responsive elements of Rise or the specifics of that lesson. Take a look here at how an image displays in portrait versus landscape.

It would be great to know how you'd like to crop an image and what impact that would have on your course. That's the type of info that's helpful to our Product team as they plan out new features.

Mike DiFonzo

I vote for this feature.

I'm trying to crop an image too but from the library in SL. I was hoping not having to export it out to crop it and then import it back in. I'm trying to fit the image on a slide and need to chop off the legs of a character. I know I can resize the whole image but then it's too small. I scaled the image up so it would better present on the slide.  Using an external software makes it so that i have to guess where to crop it prior to importing it.

Paul Tottle

A cropping tool for the content library in RISE would be useful. An example for my project right now: I need a banner image - something that will stretch across the page as a strip - maybe 10: 1 dimension ratio. I don't want anything loud or with much meaning, just a bit of colour. No strip images came up in content library searching with "banner". With a cropping tool I could search for a topic and then just quickly crop to take a strip of the image, and test it. I'm just looking at the ocean.jpg image now and I could use the top 20%. Or another example is the image: J5ozty4MnIKK33HW-stock-image.jpg  I could use the top edge of that photo with its water & light texture.

I've just tried cropping outside of Rise but the "image full width" option seems to have a minimum height. So if I crop thinner, the image just gets moved off the screen and displays at the same height. So it seems that my idea of a thin strip of colour doesn't work with the Rise concept as there is a minimum height for all images

Crystal Horn

Hi Paul and Lucas.  You're both right.  Because of Rise's responsive nature, the content shifts to fit the device size and orientation.  Check out this information from our best practices article:

In addition to using high quality images, it's a good idea to use images where important details won't be lost if the edges are cropped. Rise courses are fully responsive, so your images may have different dimensions as they adapt to different devices and orientations.

That said, thanks for telling us what would work best for you!  I'll share your insight with our team.

April Keizer

Has there been a solve for this? I am trying to use the text on image feature in Rise and am picking photos from the content library. Several photos are cropped oddly with people's heads cropped off. I'd love to be able to move the photo down so the heads show in the image (similar to the crop feature in PPT). It's getting rather frustrating that every image that I select is cropped oddly (automatically) and I haven't been able to find a solve for it. 

Help!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.