Can you put any video in Rise

Nov 16, 2016

I've tried to find this answer but could not. I do my video editing in Camtasia and then insert the mp4 files into Storyline 2. Can you do the same with Rise?

Thanks, Cheryl

51 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Amal,

We recommend using high quality videos with a 16:9 aspect ratio for the best results in your published Rise courses.

The maximum file size for each video you upload to Rise is 5 GB. Outside of that, we don't have restrictions on video types. 

This article has some more best practices for media in Rise. 

Let me know if you need any other help!

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Ashley,
What about embedding the direct link to the video with an httpconnection?
When I input a link https://url/video.wmv

I get a component which is not an embedded player, but some sort of link, and when I click it - the video is just immediately directly downloaded but not played.

How can the embedded player for the video be created for such case?
Thank you!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Irina! Is the video hosted on a web server? If the video URL forces a direct download outside of Rise, then it will do the same thing when embedded in Rise. 

If you're having trouble with embedding the video via a link, could you instead upload the MP4 or WMV file using a Video lesson or block?

Ivor Thynne

I have made a test course in Rise which consists of just videos however in preview mode I was able to use the enlarge button so it went full screen, however once it is published to SCORM 1.2 and placed on my LMS they will not go full screen, in fact the button does nothing. Have I forgot to activate something?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Ivor,

Have you checked to see if the same thing happens when the course is hosted in another environment? SCORM Cloud is a great option, since it's industry standard for LMS testing. 

If you'd like help testing that, simply click here to attach the zipped output to a new thread comment. I'll take care of the rest!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Paul,

That's certainly a long time! I'd love to help test it out, as I haven't seen a video take that long in all my work with Rise. Are you able to share a copy of the video here with us? Can you let me know what browsers you've tested it in? 

Also, do you know what you're overall internet speeds for downloads/uploads are? That may be a factor in the load time you're seeing too. 

Paul Read

Hi Ashley

Just uploading another one - 260MB and it's also taking a long time 40 to 60 minutes by the look of it.

Kind regards

[CDU Logo Stripe]

Paul R. Read
VET Lecturer Learner Support

Faculty of VET, ALN Team (Top End)
T: +61 8 8946 6379
E: paul.read@cdu.edu.au
W: cdu.edu.au

CHARLES DARWIN UNIVERSITY
Darwin, Northern Territory 0909 Australia
CRICOS Provider No. 00300K (NT/VIC) I 03286A (NSW) | RTO Provider No. 0373

Paul Read

Ashley

A question: we have many remote students who cannot receive the internet.
Can the Rise projects be made into applications which do not need the Internet?

Kind regards

[CDU Logo Stripe]

Paul R. Read
VET Lecturer Learner Support

Faculty of VET, ALN Team (Top End)
T: +61 8 8946 6379
E: paul.read@cdu.edu.au
W: cdu.edu.au

CHARLES DARWIN UNIVERSITY
Darwin, Northern Territory 0909 Australia
CRICOS Provider No. 00300K (NT/VIC) I 03286A (NSW) | RTO Provider No. 0373

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Paul.  Just a heads up that replying by email will include your signature with contact information.  You can always return to your post to edit it out.

Yes, you can share your Rise course with folks for offline viewing!  Check out this FAQ on that process.  Your learners will have to extract the zip folder and use a browser other than IE or Edge.  Just make sure you provide them those instructions!

Regarding videos, as long as you're working on a supported browser, adding video to Rise shouldn't take that long.  I use http://www.speedtest.net/ to check speeds when my connection seems slow.  Can you access that site (or one similar) to check for upload speed?  Let me know what you see there.  Thanks!