Copy and Paste Images

May 13, 2019

Hiya,

I found that I can copy and paste images into Rise (using Chrome) but once its in there, you cant select it to delete it without deleting the block. 

Copy and Paste

Anyone else seen this or know how to delete the image?

11 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Bailey,

Rise 360 doesn't support in-line images at this time. The workaround that you found is definitely neat, but as you discovered, it can lead to unexpected behaviors and we can't guarantee your course will maintain its responsiveness and stability.

We have a feature request logged for the ability to insert images into text blocks and I'll share any updates regarding that request here with you. 

In the meantime, it's best to use image blocks to insert images in your Rise 360 courses.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Irina Poloubessov

I just got a message from support "There was a bug in Rise 360 that allowed images to be pasted into text fields. Sadly, these images put a heavy strain on the Rise 360 database and contributed to a service outage on July 27, 2018. To prevent similar outages, we fixed the bug in our text editor, which means images can no longer be pasted into Rise 360."

I am not sure how this impacts the database - if I create a chapter with 10 images added in "legal" Rise elements, or I just create a text paragraph and paste there those 10 images - isn't it the same strain?

It would be great to add a possibility to paste images (small ones) into a table (the new available element in Rise) and remove (or paint white) the table border for a compact layout.

The thing is that the available "legal" image elements in Rise are mostly quite large, and sometimes we just do not need them that big - it makes a chapter look very sparse and long if we need to add several visuals.

And especially if I have in one logical step of timeline with several images -- then I would have to split it an create a very long timeline with a step per image...

Alyssa Gomez

Great question, Irina. 

When you insert an image to a text block, the image is converted to many megabytes of text. Our database gets strained because it isn't optimized to store that amount of text.

On the other hand, when you insert an image into a block that is intended for images, things work much more efficiently! We optimize that image and store it outside our database. 

We've been tracking requests for the ability to insert images into text blocks, and we know it's a popular one. If we make changes to the way text blocks handle images in the future, we'll let you know!

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Alyssa,
The optimization of the images you have mentioned - could it be also given in the hands of users?
E.g. could Articulate limit the allowed size in MB for uploaded images instead of post-processing them on Articulate side? This might be the cause for the massive problematic artifacts we see when we upload PNG images to Rise - Rise makes every image to be a JPG in the end, and saves them at a bad quality. 
You can see the discussion with many concerns here:
https://community.articulate.com/discussions/rise-360/poor-image-quality-when-uploading-an-image-with-rise

We could then take care of our images more accurately in advance. 

Anna Maria Olivé Compte

This is a big change that affects products being launched right now as we have used this work around for some and cannot use it for the next... It's an emergency... What can we do right now, How can we introduce images in block where you don't have the option to do it -like response to the quiz-

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Anna,

There was a bug in Rise 360 that allowed images to be pasted into text fields. Sadly, these images put a heavy strain on the Rise 360 database and contributed to a service outage on July 27, 2018. To prevent similar outages, we fixed the bug in our text editor, which means images can no longer be pasted into Rise 360. 

I understand you were trying to add images to quiz answer choices. For now, you'll want to stick with using text only in the answer choices. We're looking at ways to make it easier to add images in a text block, and we'll keep you posted on new developments!

Geert van der Wijk

For some of our courses we used the copy paste image workaround to add formulas/equations to text blocks. For now I understand we have to use image blocks to present the formulas in between the text blocks. I'm really looking forward to the possibility to put images into text blocks. Or even better, the possibility to use equations in text blocks.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.