Course Timers In Rise

Jan 15, 2019

Is there a way to put a timer on each module in Rise, so that students have to spend a given amount of time in a module before moving on? I don't see anything like that, and I haven't found any confirmation in the forums that this exists. 

22 Replies
Michael Bauer

Excuse my ignorance, what is the purpose of having a learner spend X time on an activity? If someone has completed an activity, why do they  need to sit and stare at a screen waiting for a countdown to happen? They will just become disengaged, start responding to emails and/or check for new insta stories on their phone.

Perhaps you are meaning to have a time-out as a maximum, but if completed beforehand they can continue?

NT GROUP

Hello Michael,
I will use your question to clarify this need to the Rise Team!

I think this feature would not be related to learning efficacy, but to training regulation compliance.

In many countries (Italy, for example), the State can pay for the training of a Company, on certain topics.
But that company have to comply with some rules. One of them is pretty much always: "learners must learn from this course for at least X hours".
Which is not a very smart rule. But most companies have to comply with that to be sure to have access to training funds.

And that's why a time-bound SCORM can be useful, even if, i agree with you, less powerful learning-wise.

Rise 0

A possible crude work around the lack of timer.. create  a video or audio of the time you want, Give the object a header called "Timer"
Set the block conditions to uncheck "Allow forward seeking". This forces the block to finish.
Combine with a Continue button below the block that has condition "complete block directly above" or if you put the continue button at the bottom of the page with  various content in between the block and the continue button , use the condition "complete all blocks above".  

Now the student cant continue on until the block has played to the end, and in this case the "Timer" has ended..

As i said crude.. but could work, sort of..?

A super nice version would of course be to have a timer graphics animated in a video it self.. the sky is the limit on how to use that..for effect. could be anything you can think of.
But audio can be as effective.. a audible count down... or simply ticktack..?

Could probably be done quite crudely in powerpoint and professionally in Adobe premier or final cut or something like that.

Tested this and audio doesnt have the the forward seeking limitations, but video does and it works combined with continue button..