Creating an interactive simulation in Rise 360

May 27, 2020

Is there a way to create an interactive simulation within Rise without first creating it in storyline 360 and importing it? 

6 Replies
Renae Jenkins

Hi Karl, 

My department develops training to help their clients learn how to use our software. We develop software for non-profits to help them do fundraising, promote and run events, etc. I want to develop eLearning for more than just the basics - I'd like to provide eLearning for more advanced courses that are normally taught via our virtual led instructors over webinars or in person. For this, I will need the ability to create simulations that allow the learner to feel as though they are trying the software - physically doing the steps, clicking the buttons, and moving through the program. 

With SL, I can create "try it" screen recordings for a "walk me through" type of experience. In Rise, this does not seem possible. Creating a screen recording in "try it" mode and importing that into Rise does not work - it imports as one long video without the ability for the learner to interact.

I found one work-around, and that is to create a step-by-step SL file using one slide and numerous layers, triggers, etc. and import this into Rise - this creates an okay "walk-me-through"  experience - but it's limited to the learner simply clicking the screen (they cannot type something in, scroll through, etc.). Also, creating this is very time consuming - something like using stop animation instead of film. 

I might be asking for the impossible with Rise - but my employer and team are so in love with Rise that they have forgone SL all together. I love SL and feel it provides a more interactive experience if developed properly, but the other IDs don't want anything to do with SL. But... management wants the best of both worlds - the interactivity of SL but done with the ease of Rise. 

I hope this helps to describe what I am trying to do. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Renae!

You mentioned:
I can create "try it" screen recordings for a "walk me through" type of experience. In Rise, this does not seem possible. Creating a screen recording in "try it" mode and importing that into Rise does not work - it imports as one long video without the ability for the learner to interact.

Have you tried importing those "try it" screen recordings using a Storyline block? Here's how:

1. First, publish your Storyline course to Review 360.
  2. Then, in Rise 360, edit an existing lesson or create a new one.
  3. Insert an interactive Storyline block.
  4. Click the Browse Articulate 360 button in the Storyline block.
  5. Select the Storyline course you want to use from your Articulate 360 projects.

A Storyline block would allow the learner to interact with the "try it" screen recording slides. Let us know if that's what you were looking for!

Karl Muller

Hi Renae,

Thanks for a very detailed explanation of your requirements.

I have done a great deal of elearning course development very similar in nature to what you have described. 

Rise is a great tool, but it certainly would not be my first choice based on what you have described. The best you would be able to do in Rise would be to create screenshots from your app, and then annotate the images using Photoshop. For example, add arrows, highlight fields, and add annotations for steps, etc.

The end result would fall in the online manual category, which is pretty low down on the scale of effective training. 

Storyline offers many more options than Rise. As you mentioned, and supported by my experience, creating realistic simulations of apps is very time consuming and expensive.