Current Estimated Dates of Completion: RISE WCAG 2.0 AA and VPAT

Sep 06, 2017

Hi,

I've been following all of the threads on accessibility and RISE and would like to know about the current estimated dates for:

1. WCAG 2.0 AA to be completed (including keyboard navigation)

2. VPAT to be accessible

Without these things in place, as many have been saying, I may need to consider abandoning my current project (sadly, since I really like RISE, otherwise) and look for more suitable options for course development.

Knowing these critical estimated dates of completion on these critical issues is essential to be able to plan.

Thank you.

20 Replies
Brian Gil

Hi Kristie,

We’re hard at work on ensuring that the contrast ratio used throughout Rise courses is WCAG compliant. We expect that enhancement to ship in early October.

We’re also working on keyboard navigation. That is an extensive effort which requires thorough testing so our ETA is a bit less firm. Our current target is to ship it next quarter. At that point I expect our first Rise VPAT and WCAG support document to be available as well.

Hope that helps!
Brian

Keely Mills

I also find Rise very easy to use and powerful, so happy to hear that keyboard navigation is in the works - as that is a must for our courses! 

Is there currently the ability to set alternative text for images/videos? If not, is that something that will be in a future update?

Thanks for the info!

Allison LaMotte

Hi Erin,

So far, we’ve increased the contrast for built-in course features, added alt text for images, and added keyboard-accessible navigation. And we’re currently working on full screen reader support.

I don't have an update about additional features just yet, but since you've replied here, you'll be notified when we share more information. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there. Quick update about Rise 360 accessibility! While we can't share more specifics on timing and the order of features yet, our end goal is to get Rise 360 output WCAG 2.1 compliant by the end of 2020.

To help us get it right, we've hired Deque, a leader in digital accessibility, to perform a 3rd party audit for Rise 360 so we have an accurate and comprehensive list of items to tackle. We've also dedicated developers to own accessibility on Rise 360 long term.

As we have more details and updates, we will most certainly share here with all of you!

Benjamin Weil

Hi,

I'll ask the same question as asked before because this issue of accessibility for Rise is crucial to me as well : do you have any precise details for Rise being WCAG 2 compliant  any time soon ?

So far I can't create anything with Rise for my clients because of that issue.

Thank you !

Benjamin

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Benjamin,

I'm really sorry I don't have any details or timelines to share right now. I realize this is holding up your projects, and we promise to keep you updated as we know more.

The update I shared previously in this discussion is the latest information:

Quick update about Rise 360 accessibility! While we can't share more specifics on timing and the order of features yet, our end goal is to get Rise 360 output WCAG 2.1 compliant by the end of 2020.

To help us get it right, we've hired Deque, a leader in digital accessibility, to perform a 3rd party audit for Rise 360 so we have an accurate and comprehensive list of items to tackle. We've also dedicated developers to own accessibility on Rise 360 long term.

As we have more details and updates, we will most certainly share here with all of you!

Crystal Horn

Hi Kelsey! I'm sorry we didn't respond here sooner.

We’re still working hard toward WCAG 2.1 compliance. Check out the work we’ve done so far. This journal will be updated with each major enhancement.

Let me know if those improvements are inline with your expectations, and I’ll be happy to share your feedback with the team that is working on a11y!

Crystal Horn

Hello everyone! I’m happy to share our Rise 360 Accessibility Collection, which includes the VPAT to describe how Rise 360 conforms to WCAG 2.1 Level AA criteria.

We also updated our roadmap to include Rise 360 features we’re continuing to develop to better support WCAG.

Let me know your questions and experiences building accessible courses for all!