Editing an exported course

Aug 22, 2018

Hi Guys can any one help?

The owner of one of our Rise courses has gone away for 3 weeks and I need to edit out a few words from her course, however as you know this is not possible! However is there a way of opening the exported course zip file and getting to the text in order to make the edits and then repackage it?

Thanks for your help

Ivor 

15 Replies
Martin Duthie

Unfortunately I am not aware of there being a way to edit a course once it has been exported. It is not a simple as editing some HTML files due to the way that rise exports the source code.

The only way you would, (that i'm aware of), be able to edit the course would be to login to rise, if you were set as a collaborator then you could edit the course. However, if you have an business license, you may be able to ask your site admin to remove her seat license and transfer it to someone else.

Good luck!

Ivor Thynne

Thank for your prompt feedback Martin and Crystal, unfortunately she is not contactable and although I have Rise I am not a collaborator so all I can do is preview the course.

Her seat has been removed but that still leaves the course locked, so it seems the only thing to do is remove her from the company IT system but give someone else access to her email address so we can then give the seat back and they can log in as her. But then reverse this back when she gets back from holiday if indeed this can be done and it does not change her identity in the email system!

I may have to just remake the course! 

Thanks for your ideas both

Ivor 

Martin Duthie

Ivor, sounds like it can be done, however depending on your company policy switching email address' may be a breach, but i'm sure you and your admin are aware of the in's and out's of this.

What I would say, and it's something we have just looked into, is to implement a development process for using Cloud authoring tools. Especially for when these situations arise (holidays, resignations etc...) However, a site admin (seat license controller) should be allowed to unlock courses and assign them to a new\existing user, perhaps this could be a feature request.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Ivor,

I know we have suggested similar steps to what David is suggested for folks who have users who have left the company. Here's the process you'd want to have IT help you with:

1) Ask your IT staff to temporarily forward the user's email address to you or to grant you temporary access to their email account. You'll need this to complete step 3 below. 

2) Add the email address back to your Articulate 360 Teams account as a user, temporarily. 

3) Reset the user's Articulate 360 password here: https://articulate.com/aid/reset-password 

4) Sign into Articulate 360 with the user's email address and new password: https://360.articulate.com 

5) Transfer ownership of each Rise course to another user on your team: https://community.articulate.com/series/157/articles/rise-working-on-a-course-with-other-team-members#transfer 

6) When you're done, you can remove the user from your Articulate 360 account. 

When she returns from vacation, you could add her back to the team and let her know what the password is. 

Martin Duthie

Hi Ashley, 

Thanks for these steps. Our team have been developing a process to prevent this sort of thing happening. However, what i would add is that your steps outlined above would not be feasable in a corporate environment (raise too many tickets etc)... Is there a plan on the roadmap to create a more formal approach, like a team environment etc,

Allison LaMotte

Hi everyone,

Good news: now it’s easy to transfer Rise 360 content from one team member to another when someone leaves the team. 

Check out this video to see how it works and this step-by-step tutorial for more details. 

And these aren't the only cool features we released today! Visit our what’s new page for the full list.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments. :)

Kristen Bjork

Hi all (especially those at Articulate),

Do you ever foresee creating courses that can be edited once exported? I can imagine a time when I have developed a course for a client and they would like to make minor edits to the course, but don't own Rise. I think that they should be able to make word/link changes. Barring that, can you provide month-to-month licensing for 360? That would enable clients to activate Rise when they needed to make changes, but not force them to buy full-year subscriptions. I may have trouble selling Rise courses as a solution if they cannot be edited by my clients.

Thx

Karl Muller

Hi Stacey,

Do you still have access to the Rise course for editing purposes?

The answer to your other questions depends on the functionality of your specific LMS.

1. The LMS that we use, has the option to update an existing course. Provided that it is a small content change and that the course structure has not changed (no lessons added or deleted) the progress of learners currently enrolled in the course (or previously completed) will be unchanged. Note: Most LMS's do not have this option.

2. Our LMS also has the option to completely replace the old course with the new version. In this case, all learner progress is reset and everyone enrolled in the course (in progress or previously completed) needs to retake the course.

This (#2) is how most LMS's would respond if you upload a new SCORM package, regardless of the amount or type of changes made.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.