Embedding Surveymonkey into Rise

Jul 04, 2017

Hi all,

I'd lke to capture basic user information in a short learning tool which I am building (it won't be hosted on an LMS) which will be hosted a Wordpress site.  I have used Surveymonkey in similar tools but haven't had any luck embedding it in Rise - any suggestions?

Alternatively, if there is another way of capturing basic user details could you please throw some ideas this way.

cheers,

Paul

27 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hello Paul!  We use Embedly to embed rich media in Rise courses, which means you can use videos, images, documents and other media from over 400 content providers, such as YouTube, Vimeo, Instagram, and Scribd. See the complete list of supported content providers here.

Since SurveyMonkey is not supported by Embedly, you can use the URL to share your survey in a Rise course.

Here's an example of how that looks.

Let me know if that works for you!

Alyssa Gomez

Hey Andrew!

Embedly makes it easy to embed content in Rise--no iFrame code required! If you're using a URL from one of the 400 content providers, Embedly will automatically embed the media in an iFrame.

Since SurveyMoney isn't in the list of content providers, you'll want to use a simple iFrame code to embed a survey:

<iframe src="URL Here"></iframe>

Give it a try, and let me know if you need any help along the way!

Molly Brown

Since SurveyMonkey isn't supported by Embedly, I thought I'd give Paperform a try since it's listed on the Embedly site. It looks great on a desktop but cuts the form off on mobile and there is no scrollbar to make it work. I need a form that I can embed - without linking out elsewhere - that looks and works great in Rise. Any suggestions?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Molly,

I would expect the learner to be able to scroll within the embedded content on a mobile device. What mobile device and mobile browser are you testing on? Would you mind sending us the "Share" link to your course so we can get a better idea of what you're seeing? 

You can keep that link private by sending it here. 

Molly Brown

Sorry for my delay, Alyssa. I don't have a share link as we didn't end up using the form inside Rise because we couldn't get any platform to embed and scroll correctly. We tried Microsoft Forms, SurveyMonkey (both not using Embedly) and Paperform and  JotForm (both using Embedly), but nothing ever scrolled on mobile. The only thing I have for you to look at is the image attached to the Paperform comment above. 

Molly Brown

Thanks, Leslie. Honestly, now that I'm not "in the moment," I don't recall if I tested SurveyMonkey inside of Rise. I might have, but I'm not certain and I don't see that I saved a screen capture for it. But I know for a fact that I tested Microsoft Forms (our first choice, but we needed users to log in and it just spun and spun and never loaded inside Rise). I thought maybe it was because they weren't listed on the Embedly site, so that's when I tried the Embedly users of JotForm and Paperform and they never worked appropriately on mobile - with JotForm, I used a "page per question" format thinking that it would eliminate the scrolling issue I had with Paperform as seen in the image previously attached, but I still couldn't scroll enough to get the next button for the JotForm to progress - it was always cut off on mobile. I know I tried SurveyMonkey outside of Rise, but not 100% sure if I did inside Rise. It does seem odd that it doesn't use Embedly and seems to look better than Paperform or JotForm who do use Embedly. However, maybe part of the problem was my published output and our LMS. This was for use in the Saba Cloud mobile app, so maybe that has something to do with it too. In the end, we attached a Microsoft Form as a separate, optional item to the class and left it out of Rise completely as we were on a time crunch and couldn't get embedded forms to look and work the way we wanted. Hopefully your SurveyMonkey tips will help someone else down the line! Thanks for your time!

Sabrina Ely

Another option to use surveymonkey in Rise is to create a 1 slide storyline slide with a web object.

1. Add a web object, make it as big as the slide.

2. Add your survey monkey link (not embed code) in the web object.

3. Preview won't work with web object but Publish to your 360 review page.

4. In Rise, add an interactive storyline section. Selecting the item you just uploaded.

Lots of steps for sure but another option!

Molly McNamara

I was trying to use the same embed code above <iframe src="URL Here"></iframe> and am only having the grey box with the code show.  I've used other codes without a problem, so not sure what I need to do differently.  Any ideas are appreciated!  https://360.articulate.com/review/content/566f5fe1-a9ba-4f12-9203-add515d57e96/review is the course.  The code is towards the end of the course.

LiG Playmakers Designer
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Melissa! It looks like you may not be using the correct block type. Try using a multimedia embed block instead. Then, paste the URL for the survey where it says URL in the code below:

<iframe src="URL"></iframe>

Let me know how that goes! 

This is what I did and it worked great thank you!!!