Embedding Vimeo video

Nov 14, 2016

When I use the embed code that I use for other platforms, Rise seems to ignore the settings of my code. for example, on my video, I remove logos and titles so the fact that Vimeo is the host melts seamlessly into the background. With Rise it not only creates a vimeo frame but ignores all the embed options that work in wordpress for example. Is this normal?

54 Replies
Mark Fulford

Here you go Adam

If I use the embed code I get from vimeo, I get just the title and Vimeo label

If I use the same code in Articulate 2 or straight into wordpress I get the video as I specficy. (see second screenshot

Essentially, I don't want any links pointing to Vimeo or any branding of Vimeo. that's why I pay vimeo to have my own branding and certainly don't want uses clicking away from my site!

Thanks

Soren J Birch

Hi Mark, would this look at embedding video also address the quite old issue with Fullscreen attributes being removed from iframes? When you embed a video from Vimeo, the full screen option disappears even if you have the attribute enabled in the embed code

For example: <iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/189562895?autoplay=1&title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="1100" height="619" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

The full screen option is disabled when the output is reviewed. This is made with Storyline 2 and reviewed in Chrome and Microsoft Edge.

Donna Sutherland

Hey, I'm trying to embed some videos hosted on Vimeo into a SL2 project and I've run into the fullscreen issue. I'll be publishing as SCORM and hosting on Moodle. Will the fix you're working on apply to my scenario and do you have an estimate on when this is likely to be rolled out? Thanks heaps!

Justin Grenier

Good Morning, Donna!

Since you're working in Storyline 2 and the other folks in this discussion are working in Rise, I'm going to submit a Support Case on your behalf.  That'll allow us to take a closer look at this problem with you one-on-one.  In brief, I suspect that Moodle is having trouble passing Vimeo's fullscreen attribute to their parent IFrame, but we can help you confirm that.

Please expect to hear from us soon regarding your Case # 990833.  Thanks!

Lewis Ward

Hi Ashley,

I'm still having this issue in Storyline 2, should we expect an update which will resolve this? Are you aware of any video platforms where the full screen button works when embedding it into Storyline and uploading it to SCORM cloud for example? FYI - i currently use Vimeo but i'm open to any similar video platforms as long as the full screen button is available.

Thank you 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Lewis,

Thanks for checking in on this set up! When you embed videos from websites, such as YouTube and Vimeo, in Storyline 2 courses, you may find the fullscreen button for these videos is either missing or doesn't work in your published output. For security reasons, many web browsers are started restricting fullscreen mode for embedded iframe content.

We provided a programmatic solution for this issue in Update 10 for Storyline 2 (we're now on Update 11). Do you know which update of Storyline 2 you're using? You can easily check by going to the Help tab -> About Articulate Storyline.  You'll see the update number listed there. We'd always recommend being on the latest update to have access to all the new features and fixes! You can download and install the latest version of Storyline 2 here and then you'll want to republish your courses to take advantage of those things.  You mentioned SCORM Cloud, and some LMSs, such as SCORM Cloud, don't allow website videos to toggle into fullscreen mode. 

When did you purchase Storyline 2? You may want to reach out to our Success team to talk about the options for upgrading! Articulate 360 has a lot more than just full screen videos in Rise! You can check out this comparison of Storyline 360 to Storyline 2 for some more information, and then take a look at all that you get with the Articulate 360 subscription! 

Lewis Ward

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for replying, i'm already using update 11 if i publish the course  and view project in storline 2 the full screen button is there, the issue occurs when we upload it our LMS and play the video, the full screen button disappears. I've also tested this on SCORM cloud and Articulate online and I'm having the same problem. As this was happening in Rise and Articulate fixed it i was wondering if the same fix could be applied to Storyline 2? I've spoken to support who have seen the problem and have escalated it to the developers but i was just wondering as its a known issue if we have any idea when it'll be fixed.

Kind Regards

Thanks for double-checking your version, Lewis.

Working around Vimeo's big change is a significant rewrite to the way we publish LMS output, and we just pushed out an Update 4 for Articulate 360 (including Storyline and Studio 360) to make that change, similar to what we did in Rise. Assuming that it's technically feasible, we'll also apply the update to Storyline 3 when it is released later this year. Our next update to Storyline 2 isn't scheduled yet, but once it is we'll evaluate the possibility of getting this new functionality there as well. 

Hi Sharon,

What's the embed code or URL you're using and the additional parameter you're trying to use to stop the additional videos from being suggested? I know in Storyline, you could add ?rel=0 to the end of the URL (not the embed code) and that would stop the video suggestions so I gave that a try in Rise with the Video lesson type and the block type and those worked in this Rise course (who doesn't like a little Sesame Street in the morning!). 

Let me know if you can share a URL or a link to your Rise course and I'm happy to give that a test as well. 

Thanks Sharon - I was able to use your code and add it to the same Rise course before - it's the third video listed in there now. The full screen appears once I click to play the video - is this still not working for you? Can you test out the link to my course? Also  what browser or device are you viewing the video on?