Ergonomic requirements

Feb 08, 2022

Hi all, 

I have been asked to check whether our Rise 360 courses meet some defined "ergonomic requirements". I have already been able to make statements about many of the requirements on my list (e.g. color contrasts). But some points I don't understand or can't answer for sure whether Rise 360 courses meet them. Can anyone help?  

1. The used typeface must support the text smoothing technique of the operating system for the best possible legibility on screen. 

2. Character Height

Desktop: The required character height for optimal legibility on the screen of a viewing distance of 50cm must be at least 20 – 22 arc minutes. This applies to the presentation of all texts and text graphics required for the user's work task. The character height is measured by the capital letter.

Mobile: The application supports the font settings of the operating system for optimal display of text with maximum customisation by the user. If the application uses fixed font sizes, a font height of 26 device pixels (iPad & iPad Pro) is expected for uppercase letters.

Icons: The required height of the critical details within an icon should be oriented towards the specific character height

3. Colour Conventions: If colours are used specifically for emphasising an information category (e.g. system messages), the colours must correspond to the common and cultural conventions, considering the usage context.

4. Keyboard Shortcuts: Additionally, to the sequential operability via keyboard, the user should also have the possibility to complete often needed functions via keyboard combinations.

5. High Contrast: When high contrast mode is activated, no content, content information, and the status of UI element must be lost.

6. Usability & Input assistance: The application should support the user with meaningful default values and efficient operation. With selectable values, the user is supported by the sequence of the values (e.g. frequently used values at the beginning) and by a filter function. Functions such as auto-completion, placeholders, context-sensitive grey out of unnecessary fields or forcing entries in mandatory fields increase usability and efficiency.

Thanks, Laura 

1 Reply
Crystal Horn

Hi Laura! We focus mostly on meeting WCAG 2.1 criteria for accessibility, and you can find our accessibility collection of articles here. We have notes next to each criteria listed in our VPAT article to help you know how you can make your course accessible.

For deeper discussion about ergonomic-specific requirements, I'll defer to other community members to chime in here!