Error: Media Playback error in RISE file published to LMS.

Apr 06, 2021

I have embedded a Zoom Recorded video in Rise and published it as a SCORM 1.2 file to our LMS. It did not runs perfectly for me in Chrome . Two other users who are testing it have both hit this error in Chrome (which is the recommended browser with AbsorbLMS): the media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the media used features your browser did not support. On subsequent attempts, the error recurs for each of them in the same place as it first occurred but each encountered it on a different place in the timeline. 

4 Replies
Renz Sevilla

Hi Arvind! Thanks for sharing a screenshot of the error message. Could you please help us out by answering a few questions:

- Were you embedding the video via script hosted on another site?

- Have you also tried downloading the recorded video and uploading it to your Rise course?

- Are you using the latest version of Chrome, Version 89.0.4389.114? If not, please update and try again in an Incognito Mode of your browser to disable add-ons.

Lastly, to make sure there isn't a conflict with your publish settings for your LMS, I suggest testing your SCORM package on SCORM Cloud with debug mode enabled for testing Rise 360 LMS output files.

If your Rise 360 content doesn’t play, resume, or track correctly at SCORM Cloud, please submit a case so we can take a closer look! Be sure to include a copy of your project file so we can reproduce the problem.

Talent Development

This sounds very similar to an issue that we've experienced using PeopleFluent / NetD LMS.

We uploaded a video directly into the course, blocked users from skipping through the video, and blocked the "continue" button until the video was completed. I exported as Scorm 2004 v4 (although I tried others to troubleshoot also).

Troubleshooting:

- Cleared browser cache
- Updated Chrome from v. 114.0.5735.110 to v. 114.0.5735.134
- Re-published the course in the same format and other formats
- Attempted the course in incognito window
- Watched the video within Rise360, no error
- Attempted the course in Firefox. Lost audio and the video froze but I was able to resume playback.
- Unable to test on SCORM Cloud due to file size
- Reviewed and even republished the original video file
- Enabled de-bug mode
- Created a brand new course with a different recording; same error

Some other observations:

- SCORM file is 253 MB
- The video freezes at different times for different users but is usually around the same time each time.
- Multiple users reported this issue; Edge, Chrome and Firefox all experience an issue; users were located in different locations with different internet connection speeds; some were at the office with high speed.

We have hosted the video on Youtube and allowed users to skip forward in order to work around the issue for now; however this is not ideal as users can ignore the video completely and skip forward in the course. 

The video is a mp4 file and is an hour-long recording. I'm wondering if although RISE does not indicate a maximum file size, and the video does upload, the 250-300 mb video file could be slightly corrupting on upload or publication. (Although, some users can relaunch the course in incognito mode and finish the course after several attempts.)

Hazel Bartolome

Hi Talent Development! So sorry to hear that you're encountering an issue with a video in your Rise course. Does this happen to all your videos or just this one?

I would suggest encoding the file in Handbrake, and then try uploading to Rise again. Here are some instructions:

1. Download, install, and open the HandBrake app.
  2. Drop your video file on the HandBrake app. Or, click Open Source on the ribbon and import your video file.
  3. In the summary settings, mark the Web Optimized box, as shown below. You can leave all the other settings as they are.
  1. Click Start Encode on the ribbon to re-encode your video.

Insert the new video file into your e-learning project and republish the course. 

Let me know if this worked for you! If not, you can always open a case here.

Kara Pabón

We have also experienced the same issue with RISE and PeopleFluent / NetD. I opened a support case and was advised to re-encode the video according to the instructions above, but this did not solve the issue. We've done essentially the same troubleshooting as Talent Development and have not yet found a solution. 

The only workaround we've found is to go back to the course home page, then return to the video and drag the timestamp beyond the point where it last froze. The video usually plays from that timestamp, at least for a few minutes, until the error occurs again. 

This is turning out to be a pretty debilitating error, as it affects almost all the courses we build with video in RISE. We may need to abandon video altogether and go the same route as Talent Development - linking to external hosting sites.