"Exit Course" button on xAPI courses run in same window as LMS (not working)

Aug 20, 2019

I am trying to get the "Exit Course" button working on an xAPI course in Scorm Cloud, when I am opening the course in the same window as the LMS (i.e. using Scorm Cloud's "frameset" option for course launch, rather than "new window"). Clicking Exit Course does nothing.

The button works fine if the course is launched in a new window (i.e. using the "new window" option). The button also works fine for both "frameset" and "new window", if the course is SCORM. I understand there are differences between xAPI and SCORM that is causing this. However, I'm keen to run xAPI (for the statements) and within the same window (for UX/seamless experience).

Scorm Cloud have told me that I'd need to modify the behaviour of the button. Articulate support have told me that this button is not able to be modified, but I should check on the discussion boards to see if anyone has a workaround.

Does anyone know of a way to get around this problem? I wonder if I can edit the source file(s) in the course zip to solve this...

8 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Peter,

Thanks for bringing this up. I tested the same scenario in SCORM Cloud, and I also found that the Exit Course button did nothing when the content was in a frameset.

This sounds like it could be a bug, so I'll share it with our Product team to take a closer look. If I get an update on this, I'll pass it along to you!

Peter Hood

Hi Renz,

I am still keen to know if this has been fixed (I was the original author).

I have built my own LMS and I use Rise courses playing via Rustici Engine. The way I have it working it is essential that I have a working "Exit Course" button in xAPI. I am unable to use xAPI in my system for this reason alone, I can only use SCORM. It needs to be fixed (if not already).

Thanks