Export Rise course only as HTML5

Aug 07, 2018

I created a Rise course with Storyline 360 components published as HTML5 with Flash fallback. If I republish the Storyline components as HTML5 only and re-embed them, will the Rise course be exported strictly in HTML5?

3 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Pat,

Rise publishes HTML5-only courses and doesn't use Flash Player. So even if you've included Flash fallback as a part of your Storyline course, you'll only get the HTML5 output when viewing in Rise. 

Have you run into any issues with Storyline + Rise courses? If so, let me know a bit more about what's going on and we can do some testing around it. I'd also want to check that you're using one of the supported browsers, this article has a list of supported browsers.

Pat Jones

Hi Ashley,

I haven’t had any issues come up with our clients being able to view Storyline components within a Rise module. The issue I just ran into is with a client who has a customized hosting situation run by a third-party vendor. The vendor asked for a zip file with strictly HTML5 files.

The published zip file for the Rise course with Storyline components published as HTML5 with Flash Fallback contained swf files. So, even though Rise doesn’t use Flash Player to play the course, it still includes the swf files in the export. I republished the Storyline components as HTML5 only and the course exported without the Flash files. It looks like this will become a best practice for us going forward.

As this point in time, can you think of any reason why we should not be publishing all Storyline 360 courses as HTML5 only, no matter if they are included in Rise?

Thanks!
Pat

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Pat!

I'd agree that publishing the Storyline 360 content to HTML5 only is a good solution for the courses that you'll host in Rise as Storyline Blocks, since you can't have any SWF files in your output folder.

Outside of Rise, the only reason why you'd want to include Flash in the published output is on the off-chance that a learner is viewing the course in an older browser (such as Internet Explorer 8 or 9). In that case, if you publish with HTML5/Flash fallback, the content will default to the Flash output. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.