Export Source File for Rise

Aug 21, 2019

Hi Everyone,

I must admit, not being able to download a source file for Rise is making me a bit nervous.    I like the tool but it is painful not to be able to store our source file in a centralized location (behind our firewall).   

The current storage capabilities of Rise don't enable us to file effectively and share....plus I still have an issue with leaving everything in the cloud.  I don't know about anyone else....but when I file something....I don't want to see it in the list.   That's why I have file folders.

Will Articulate be looking at any changes of this type for Rise?   We like it but I am asking my team to primarily focus on Storyline.

Anyone else have this issue?

21 Replies
Laurie Mascaro

Hi - 

Has there been any developments on this request? We recently had someone leave our team who had created several courses in Rise and although he sent me copies of his courses, now they just live with me. If I won the lottery and moved to Hawaii (a girl can dream!), we'd be in the same dilemma - shipping copies over to someone else. To be able to save Rise content in a centralized location accessible by multiple team members would be AWESOME! 

Any progress that can be shared? 

Thanks! 

Laurie Mascaro

Hi Karl - 

Thank you for the advice! Does changing the course owner need to be done by the Team Administrator? I'm a collaborator on a course and I can change the author but I can't change the owner. I'm not currently the Team Admin, so I'm not sure what that function does other than manage licenses. 

I appreciate the help! 

Karl Muller

Hi Laurie,

The current course owner can step down and make another existing collaborator the new course owner. As there can only be one course owner, the outgoing course owner automatically becomes a regular collaborator  in this process,

The Articulate 360 Team Admin for your organization typically manages the Articulate 360 seat/licenses. If a team member leaves with first changing ownership of their courses, the Team Admin can transfer all the courses of the departed employee to another team member in just one step.

Hazel Bartolome

Hi everyone! We are excited to share that we have released Rise 360 Team Folders! You can now create shared team folders in Rise 360 to organize your content and share content with collaborators even faster. We know this has been a popular feature request and we can't wait for you to finally check it out!

Your Rise 360 dashboard will look a little different, but don't worry. You can find all of your content, personal and shared, in the My View section. If you run into any snags or have additional questions about Rise 360 Team Folders, our team is available in this discussion or in a support case.

Shani Roberts

Hello!

I have been using Rise for years...like a lot. I have had my own Articulate subscriptions but some of the companies I worked for would provide one for me (saving me $$$) well a few weeks ago ALL of my Rise links (and I had A LOT) in Review stopped working. Imagine my surprise as I was sending out my portfolio as a freelancer, a recruiter told me my links were broken...enter into the realm of SHEER PANIC.

I contacted Articulate and they said sorry but they are gone. Help me to understand how I paid for the subscription, created a product, and now it is gone?!? I understand Articulate needs space on their servers BUT I have no way to download the Rise courses that are MY intellectual property. Years of work GONE without a notice NOTHING! 

Here is my question: Is there anything I can do moving forward to protect all of the work I do? With the cost of subscriptions only going up it's challenging for freelancers to pay for a subscription you may not need to pay for if the company provides it.

Christopher Santos

Hi Shani,

First off, I'm really sorry if we weren't able to recover your data anymore.

But if you need to protect your work after your subscription ends, the best way is to export it to Web.  You may then upload them to a web server to be viewed online.  If you don't have a web server, there are a couple of free ones suggested in the article I shared above to get you started.

Christopher Santos

Hi there,

I totally understand where you are coming from.  The way Rise courses work is that they can only be authored within Rise and not from any other online application or software.  Thus, the created content only exists in the cloud and can't be downloaded as a source file.

If you need to protect your work and save it for future updates/revisions, you may share the course with another author or use the new Rise 360 Team Folders.  You can now create shared team folders in Rise 360 to organize your content and share content with collaborators.

Shani Roberts

Thank you for your responses. As a individual contractor this option does not work for me. There isn't anyone I can share my course with and honestly even if I did it's MY work! To spend thousands of dollars on Articulate and countless hours working on a project only to have access to it for a year is unacceptable.

I do have a Google Cloud account that I use for story files but I need a solution for RISE files. I tried using a Web exported file but it is a zip file and all it does is allow someone to download the file. If you can assist with how to get a URL in Google Cloud using a Rise file, that we be awesome. The video provided was for a Story file. 

Patricia Mooi

Hello,

I also agree with Shani Roberts! It should be possible to download the source file. So you or your client does not need to have a subscription just to keep the source. If you can keep a source file offline you can buy a subscription when there is a need to edit the file. It is unacceptable that the source files are gone after 6 months ending of subscription.

I am afraid many Rise users don't know this!!! They will be surprised if their subscription ends.

I was considering using Rise to build a course for a client, but since I know I can't save the source file I will not use Rise, although I like the tool. I can't sell this to my client.

I hope there will be an update soon where this is possible. It will result in more Rise users!!!