Faking a branching interaction?

Nov 30, 2016

Is there a way to fake a branching interaction in Rise? I want my learners to only view the content that applies to them.

47 Replies
Daniel Blaustein

Hi, Leigh:

I think this is a cool trick to do for Rise, which I am enjoying very much in my free trial. I am trying to duplicate what Zsolt did, but I am having problems. Hope you can help.

Problem is that when "hover over each menu item where the branches displayed" as suggested, and note the link at the bottom, the link does not exactly appear as he described. I see the #/list/ part of the link. It's there. But after the forward slash at the end, I do not see a single numeral (ie, 1, 2, 3). Instead I see a whole string of characters. Here is what I see on the link for the first branch I created:

#/list/cj4edobfd00073e64gwu02adk?_k=25fn0y

Here is a link to what I've done so far. Each branch is different and eventually I want to create a link back to the scenario page for each branch page.  My question is: What am I supposed to do with this? I guess I did something wrong, but I have built and exported the course as you described and launched it on my website as well as through a shareable link, and the branch links look like this the every time.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Michael Bauer

I'm having this issue too. Also, to be fair, I am the most novice of amateur beginner Javascripters so I don't know what to look for, what to do, where to do it, etc. I just follow steps. As I don't understand it, I don't know what to do when it doesn't work.

I also don't know how to get rid of the "jumping to previous or next section" options at the top and bottom of the screen. Again, I have probably missed something. Zsolt is a master at this, if only I understood what to do :(

frederic joly

Dear all, 

Here is a way to hide lessons from the welcome page and/or the left-side navigation menu with CSS.

1. In Rise, move the lessons to hide at the bottom of the welcome page.

2. Check the index.html output in the developer tools of your browser (e.g. Chrome).

3. In the "Elements" panel of the developer tools, find the class name of the lines corresponding to the lessons displayed in the browser :

• for the welcome page // class name is "overview-list__item" (screenshot 1)screenshot_1
  • and/or for a lesson page // class name is "lesson-lists__item" (screenshot 2)

screenshot_2

4. In a text editor, add the following CSS lines in the <style> section of the index.html output (screenshot 3) :

// li.overview-list__item:nth-child(n+3){ display:none; } 
/* n+3 is the rank of the lesson from which lessons below are hidden in the welcome page. */
li.lesson-lists__item:nth-child(n+3){  display:none; } 
/* n+3 is the rank of the lesson from which lessons below are hidden on the left-side menu of a lesson page. */

screenshot_3

Hope it works for you,

Frédéric B.F. Joly

Allison LaMotte

Hi Tonie,

You would need to use the button stack technique in that case as well. If you've tried that and are finding it doesn't work exactly how you'd like it to, it'd be great if you could take the time to log a feature request and tell us more about your specific needs.

Also, just thought I'd point out that when you respond directly from your email, your signature is appended to the message. You may want to pop in there and edit out any personal information that you don't want to share with the community.

In the meantime, if there’s anything else I can do to help, please let me know! 

Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Kim! It sounds like you're interested in how this Rise sample was built, is that right? Demonstration of Microphones for Rapid E-Learning Developers

Lesson 2 (show below) has a button stack block. Each button is set to navigate the learner to another lesson.

You can find this block under the Interactive category. 

Once you insert the block, click the Edit button to set the destination of each button. 

Let me know if that helps you!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.