File name length

Feb 25, 2020

So I have read all the articles about file name length in relation to microsoft. Our LMS is requested our file names be under 75 characters. Is this even possible in Articulate?
In scorm the path is longer because of the scormcontent/assets path
I tried tin can but it is still 70 characters minimum by default: 
C:\c\assets\4-lt9loHHhB_uLWd_transcoded--R_XEDReKS41Fcp--m-01-l-01-03-
Without the actual file name. And then it adds a file name for an image as a placeholder for our videos using the course name
course-name-00001.png
So being under a 75 character limit seems impossible correct?
And yes I am using Long Path Tool to count the characters but if I rename the files after the export, they will all break, no?

3 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Baker Communications,

Thanks for your question. We don't recommend modifying file names in the published output folder, since that could break the link to those assets when viewing the course.

Which LMS are you using? Hopefully other folks using the same LMS can chime in with their suggestions for successfully hosting Rise 360 courses.

Colin Léger

We are using SharePoint 2013 and we're running into the same situation (different character count). The issue is not with SharePoint but the F5 application that we login with. It adds 59 or so characters for security reasons.

Being able to change the length of the file exports would help. (i.e. 5cpHdRabv4u_DX1440_DY1440_CX1080_CY675.png That's 39 characters plus the extension) 

I can see that there is some description within the filename that probably creates some magic in the background but it's also causing issues. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.