Free text entry style questions in Rise

Mar 29, 2019

Hi am new to Articulate and have built a course in Rise but wanting to solicit free text entry from users at multiple points. Ie open ended answer. I understand Rise can’t do that yet but can I pull in this style of open question from Storyline and embed in my Rise course? Or do I have to build whole thing in Storyline?  Like the ease and design of Rise compared with Storyline so that wouldn’t be my ideal.

And finally for a cohort of about 400 users what LMS would be recommended that would give me a report containing all the open ended answers supplied by users. 

Thanks in advance 

Craig 

9 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Craig,

You certainly can build it in Storyline and embed it in Rise via a Storyline block, but that information won't be reported to your LMS. So it depends on whether or not that's necessary. If it is, then you'll want to upload your Storyline course to your LMS directly. 

I hope that answers your question! 

Craig Sainter

Thanks Allison 

Yes the whole point of the course is to get user answers to free text entry questions. So am I correct in this 

1 Can’t use Rise so will need to rebuild course in Storyline (is there a Storyline template that is close to Rise?)

2 Can embed Essay style questions in my Storyline course - this will give me the free text answers I need

So then what LMS? Will Articulate Online give me reports that show user free text?

if not, what should I use as an LMS that you know can deliver the responses I need from Storyline Essay quizzes?

ApprecIte any help you can offer as under a tricky deadline. 

Cheers

Craig

Allison LaMotte

Hi Craig,

1. Rise only offers fill-in-the blank questions, so if you need longer, text-entry questions, then yes, you'll need to build this out in Storyline.

2. Yes, you can create essay questions in Storyline and the answers can be viewed in Articulate Online. I can't give any recommendations for others LMSs but you will definitely want to check if they support essay questions before you commit to one. You can do that by talking to the provider and doing your own tests before you subscribe.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. :)

OWEN HOLT

That is exactly what we are doing with the exercise pictured below. I can't share the actual course but essentially, in this Rise Storyline block, there is a form on one side of slide in a web-object and a video on the other side playing a phone call that learners need to respond to.