Here's how to change the START COURSE button and LESSON references in RISE

Dec 13, 2016

I just updated my website using Rise (http://stephanieharnett.ca) and made a few adjustments to the JavaScript since it isn't really a course. I changed the following:

·         START COURSE button change to FIND OUT WHY

·         DETAILS link to AT-A-GLANCE

·         Lesson x of xx to Idea x of xx

·         NEXT LESSON in footer to NEXT UP

·         Lesson x in footer to Idea x

To do this, I used the following steps:

• Export as a non-LMS web page, download the zip file and extract it.
    Use a script editor like Notepad++ or Sublime to edit the content > lib > main.bundle.js file.
  • To change the START BUTTON, move to the top of the file and use search (Ctrl F) to find the statement: overview__button
    You'll see a statement like this on line 83:

("overview__button","brand--ui",{"brand--color":!c.src});return e.createElement(v.Link,s({className:p},i),n)}

Change the n to be what you'd like the START COURSE button to display. Make sure you wrap it in quotes. For example:

("overview__button","brand--ui",{"brand--color":!c.src});return e.createElement(v.Link,s({className:p},i),"FIND OUT WHY")}

Save the file and re-load the page to view the changes.

• To change the DETAILS link, move slightly to the right on line 83 or use search (Ctrl F) to find the statement: overview__details-trigger-text

You'll see a statement like this:

e.createElement("span",{className:"overview__details-trigger-text brand--ui"},"Details"),

Change "Details" to be what you'd like the details link to display, for example "AT-A-GLANCE" (keep the quotes in place).
  • To change the lesson wording at the top of each lesson, move to the top of the file and use search (Ctrl F) to find the statement: lesson-header__count. This should be on line 64.

r.createElement("div",{className:"lesson-header__count"},"Lesson ",t," of ",n)),

Change "Lesson " to what you’d like to display. If you don’t want the lesson numbers, remove:  ,t," of ",n from the statement. For example:

r.createElement("div",{className:"lesson-header__count"},"Idea A")),

• Finally, to change lesson wording at the bottom of each lesson, move to the top of the file and use search (Ctrl F) to find the second occurrence statement next-lesson__title. This should be on line 84.

r.createElement(f.Link,{className:"next-lesson__link",to:"/list/"+encodeURIComponent(t),onClick:i},r.createElement("div",{className:"next-lesson__title brand--ui"},"Next ",u?"Lesson":""),r.createElement("div",{className:"next-lesson__name brand--ui"},u?"Lesson "+o+" - ":""," ",n)

Change "Next " and "Lesson" to what you’d like to display. For the row that displays beneath, change "Lesson " to what you’d like to display. If you don’t want the lesson numbers, remove: "+o+" (including the quotes) from the statement. For example:

r.createElement(f.Link,{className:"next-lesson__link",to:"/list/"+encodeURIComponent(t),onClick:i},r.createElement("div",{className:"next-lesson__title brand--ui"},"Next ",u?"Up":""),r.createElement("div",{className:"next-lesson__name brand--ui"},u?"Idea B - ":""," ",n)

• Save the file and re-load the page to view the changes.
Pinned Reply
Leslie McKerchie

Hello All!

Happy to announce that you can now customize the default text labels in Rise. This gives you the ability to make built-in course elements, such as buttons and lesson headers, say what you want them to say.

Brian has started a great discussion here if you'd like to check it out and you can find our support documentation here.

As always, we keep our Rise Version History up to date too.

30 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi everyone! There's lots of discussion in this thread about options for changing the Start Course button. In case you want to remove the button completely, let me tell you about a new feature we just released! 

We've added a toggle that allows you to turn off the cover page when you publish for LMS to improve compatibility, streamline training, and get learners into content faster. Give it a try, and let us know if you have any questions about it!

Note: You can't hide the cover page for training created from Next Big Idea Club content templates.