Hiding the "Exit Course" function in Rise

May 06, 2020

Hi All,

Just a quick question - has anyone had issues with learners exiting the course mid-course using the "Exit Course" function in Rise?  

It's always visible in the upper right hand corner throughout all of the content. Do you know if you can hide that function until the end of the course?  Or does it just have be turned off all together?

Thanks!
Jen

17 Replies
Karl Muller

The setting for the Exit Course Link is found on the Course Export page, if you have selected LMS as the export type.

Yes, you can turn it off completely (that is your only choice ON/OFF).

Before doing turning it off, you should determine if your LMS requires the Exit Course link in order to save the student resume data.

For example, we launch our courses in a new window, and keep the LMS open in a background window. We use the the Exit Course link to save the learner data and then close the course window before returning control to the LMS browser window.

If our learners do not use the the Exit Course link and simply close the course window, their progress will not be saved.

Gina McDaniel

Hi Growth In Motion Shirley (Can I just call you Shirley?), 

I'm not sure I understand the question ... what do you mean by save the content? Are you talking about the progress of the learner or saving the completion? 

I will try to answer the question anyway. The exit course button when used throughout the course will save the "progress" of a rise course. The areas you've visited will stay marked as visited. But it didn't seem to open up to the last location as it goes through that opening page (at least per our RISE course design). When used at the end, it saves completion. We have not tried adding in the exit block at the end per Alyssa and Karl above. 

Does that help? 

Shirley Smith

Hi Gina

Yes, Shirley is fine thank you.

Will Rise save the learners progress when learner clicks the interactive
button to exit the course:

* When the exit course button is on when exporting to LMS
* When the exit course button is off when exporting the LMS
* Is the assessment results tracked if learner exits the course using
the interactive exit the course button instead of the exit course button on
the top right of the screen.

Let me know if this makes sense?

Shirley Smith | GROWTH IN MOTION

Certified Change Management Practitioner

Proudly B-BBEE Level 2 Contributor
Cell: 082 851 2422

Please consider the environment before printing this email

Karl Muller

Hi Shirley.

There are no set answers to your questions, as these factors all have an impact:

• The specific LMS you are using: each LMS functions somewhat differently even if the LMS is SCORM compliant.
  • Are you running your courses within the LMS UI itself
  • Are you running your courses in a new window over the LMS window.

So the only way to answer these questions is for you to experiment with each of your different scenarios within your own LMS.

Shirley Smith

Hi Karl and Gina

Thank you for your feedback, so you cannot tell me unless I know how our LMS
is configured.

Unfortunately I will first have to check with our LMS administrator and get
back to you for feedback.

Chat soon.

Shirley Smith | GROWTH IN MOTION

Certified Change Management Practitioner

Proudly B-BBEE Level 2 Contributor
Cell: 082 851 2422

Please consider the environment before printing this email

Karl Muller

Hi Shirley.

Even if we knew if your courses open in a new window (or not), you would still have to run tests to answer your 3 questions.

The reason I'm saying this, is that I have read posts on this forum that for some people, their LMS always saves student results, whether they simply close the course window, or use the EXIT COURSE link. For them it makes no difference.

For our LMS, the only time student results are saved to the LMS, is when the learners use the EXIT COURSE link. Nothing else works.

So you need to figure out what is true for your LMS.

Shirley Smith

Hi Karl

Thanks for your feedback, someone else was able to assist me.

It’s confirmed that when learner clicks either the Exit course interactive button or the exit course link on top right of the screen, their progress and completion is saved and they will resume where they left off when they enter the course again.

I understand LMS functionality vary, and have asked our LMS administrator to advise for future.

Appreciate your support.

Shirley Smith

Hi Karl and Gina

I got feedback from our LMS administrator.  See below:

- We using SynergiseLearn Scorm 1.2 and 2004 compliant
- SCORMS run embedded or full screen within LMS, student can choose
- Courses run in the same window within the LMS

Please advise know how the above would impact the following:

- when learner clicks the interactive exit course button to exit the course – will rise save progress and completion when learners resumes later
- when learner clicks the exit course on top right of screen (setting on export is on) – will rise save progress and completion when learners resumes later
- Will we be able to pull reports reflecting the actual percentage as well as if learner passed / failed the course

Look forward to hearing back from you

Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Shirley!

You asked three questions about how Rise 360 should perform in your LMS:

- when learner clicks the interactive exit course button to exit the course – will rise save progress and completion when learners resumes later
- when learner clicks the exit course on top right of screen (setting on export is on) – will rise save progress and completion when learners resumes later
- Will we be able to pull reports reflecting the actual percentage as well as if learner passed / failed the course

Technically the answer is "yes," Rise 360 should perform all three of those tasks correctly. As Karl mentioned, you'll want to test a sample output file in your LMS to be sure.

If something doesn't work the way you'd expect, let us know!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.