How can I add an LMS.Commit/Commit Event when a custom LMS doesn't bookmark with suspend_data call

Aug 05, 2020

I have a course built in Rise with an added graded final assessment in Storyline learners must pass, exported in Scorm 2004, v.4, tracking using Course completion - 100%.  The custom LMS tracks bookmarking via LMS/Commit/Commit events, and is not reading/receiving the suspend_data event that the Rise Scorm package uses.  Thus, when learners exit the course without clicking the page Exit button, or they lose network connection, they must restart the course from the beginning rather than the LMS knowing where they left off.  

Is there a way I can go into the coding of the package zip files to make the change for the course to send an LMSCommit/Commit event when they press the Continue button we have at the bottom of each page so the bookmarking communicates as needed with the LMS?

I'm not a developer, but I do build courses and can follow instructions. If anyone has helpful instructions or where to suggest researching, that would be most appreciated.

5 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Kristen! 

Are you noticing this problem is happening in Chrome and Edge?

If so, we've also seen that courses exited by closing the browser window in Chrome 83 or Edge are not showing as complete or resuming as expected.

Here are some details on the Chrome 83/Edge behavior:
Chrome has deprecated a technology that was used by many LMSs to allow a course to communicate back to the LMS when the course window is closed (as opposed to using the Exit Course button).

If your LMS hasn't upgraded their system, or if you're using an older version of your LMS that doesn't include an update to address this change, the course cannot communicate progress or completion properly. This causes learners to start over from the beginning instead of resuming a course or recording completion after they close the browser window.

Please reach out to your LMS and find out if they have released an update to address the Chrome changes.

Amarnath Annamalai

Is there a way to add explicitly LMSCommit/Commit in Rise like in StoryLine approach described in this thread https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/manually-invoke-lmscommit-on-slide-load-with-js by Steve Flowers

"At any rate, if you really wanted to you could call LMSCommit(); on every slide load. No harm, I suppose. I wouldn't try to call it once ever second or anything like that. Too often and you're creating unnecessary requests. Doesn't sound like that's your goal.

JavaScript Trigger placed on your master slide when the timeline starts:

LMSCommit(); "

Michel Toyos

We have different scorms made in RISE in different versions of Moodle.

Moodle: 3.3 / 3.5 and 3.7

Moodle only saves when it opens, but nothing when it closes the scorm (no time, no state) with Chrome.

Force that commit could be the solution, but how?

I think it is a serious problem that needs a quick fix from articulate

Any solution?

Laura McErlain

Hi all, just to weigh in on this discussion we would REALLY love a forced LMS commit option introduced in some way to Rise - either timed or triggered. We see very high volumes of learners losing progress when the single LMS commit call fails on close of window.  We have extensive instructions to the learner to click the EXIT course button (even renamed it to "SAVE & EXIT COURSE" to try and get learners to click the button before existing but efforts are futile 😩 Very keen to see if something can be done!! Even triggering LMS commit on the final slide would be legendary! 
Michelle