How do I stop Rise 360 from converting/processing my videos?

Feb 25, 2021

Hi,

Does anyone know how to get Rise 360 to stop processing videos? I ask because our MP4 videos are encoded so we have the best quality for the least size possible and every time Rise 360 re-encodes them and the size increases dramatically which isn't good at all for us as some of our SCORM packages become too large for uploading in our LMS

Thank you

16 Replies
Karl Muller

Hi,

If you'd like an image to keep its specific file format and not undergo compression, you can opt-out of image optimization on a case-by-case basis. Just add _NOPROCESS_ to the name of your image file. It'll upload and display exactly as you saved it. Keep in mind that file size limits still apply.

A file named car.png would become car_NOPROCESS_.png.

https://articulate.com/support/article/Best-Practices-for-Images-Videos-and-Audio-in-Rise-Courses 

Xavier Bourguignon

Hi Alyssa, Thank you for your reply.

Our videos are already encoded in such a way that the size is very small while keeping an excellent quality, and unfortunately Rise 360's compression is actually making them a lot bigger, between 20% and 60% as far as we can tell, which is really an inflation :)

Regards

Lea Agato

Thanks for sharing that, Xavier. Do you see any loss of quality in your videos in Rise because of the compression?  If so, will you be able to send us a copy of your files? We'd love to take a look at your files to see what's happening. If you want to share your files privately, you can use this form, and one of our customer support engineers will work with you directly on your issue!

Mata Henry

More often the Rise vid compression works great, but I too have seen some of our compressed vids end up being bigger in the Rise package. This is after I've taken them through premier/media encoder.
Embedding/sourcing vids from another content directory will allow the user to skip watching them, and given they are often learning objects, its not ideal. 
If there could be an option in future to control some of the compression - ie, optimise, or not, or specify the delivery platform.

Nigel Kirkby

It's gone the other way now. videos used to all be converted to 720p 30fps and a medium-ish bitrate that gave better results if you fed it high bitrate input (but caused headaches for users who already had highly optimised videos). Now the SCORM files are significantly larger, as the videos are output at 1080p 30fps but at much higher bitrates too. Our modules have gone from being 20-30MB each to 100-200MB each!

Karl Muller

Hi Nigel,

This may help:

Pro Tip: If you'd like a video to keep its specific file format and not undergo compression, you can opt-out of optimization on a case-by-case basis. Just add _NOPROCESS_ to the name of your video file. It'll upload and display exactly as you saved it. Keep in mind, using this method bypasses transcoding and compression, so learners may encounter issues with playback across different devices. File size limits still apply.

Source: https://access.articulate.com/support/article/Best-Practices-for-Images-Videos-and-Audio-in-Rise-Courses#videos