How to add video and text side by side in Rise

Jun 21, 2021

I would like to  build the text narrative to either the right or left of the video created in Peek instead of text only showing at the bottom.  When the video starts, if the viewer doesn't have a headset or speakers, they will not be able to follow along with the video.  Instead of having the text at the bottom, is there a way to display it either to the right or left of the video with the ability to scroll down either automatically or by the user?

30 Replies
gavin nesom

Alyssa, one can choose either image or video in the "accordian" and "tabs" blocks - extending this useful option to the "image and text" block would be an excellent idea.  I found this thread looking to see if such a thing was possible.  If it's not on the roadmap, is there a feature suggestion mechanism we can use?  

Todd Labak

Thank you Kelly. I am working on a project that conveys 3 ways for customer service reps to say specific phrases to the customer as well. I didn't want the learner to have to read the information but hear it. I thought it would be great if I could use the 3-column grid for small, short videos or audio buttons could layout side by side.  If that's lower hanging fruit for the developers (since the structure is there, just not the media options), that would be another great addition. Thanks!

Ron Tutnauer

Hi, I'm fairly new to Rise - I am trying to figure out if there is any other way to insert a small video in Rise. Approximately 300x300 pixels.
Side-by-side would be ideal, but if centered in a block I guess I could manage.

I guess if this is crucial -  I could create this in Storyline and add as a block...
Thanks

Gren Foronda

Hi Ron!

We're tracking requests for this feature of displaying a video and text side-by-side in Rise. We'll keep this thread posted on updates that can help!

As discussed above, workarounds can be using Closed Captions in the Video block, or insert a Tabs or Accordion block which will display the text below the image. You can also create this in Storyline, and add this as an SL block in Rise.

Let me know if you have additional questions or clarifications!

Phil Foss

I did a short recording showing how this is possible (if you're nuts like me), I included several highly desired media/design requests including:

1. side-by-side block columns (video + text)
  2. smaller video icon
  3. full custom cover pages with branding
  4. dark mode support (Sasquatch course)
  5. animated cover page, animated lesson titles
  6. boots with the fur (audio)

Phil Foss

Thanks Francesca, and yes unfortunately it needs to be done on each individual course after export, as we are using the block id number to get the desired layout. When authoring your course in Rise just make sure the video block comes just before the text block that you want to be side-by-side.