HTML5 Output: Rise is "web-based" versus Storyline Flash/HTML5 ouput

Nov 10, 2016

The Questions

1. What is the web and mobile browser output of the Rise html?(HTML, CSS, javascript?)
  2. How does this compare to the Storyline Flash/HTML5 output?
  3. What is the future of Storyline 360 HTML5 output?
  4. Will Rise ever get to the point of being a powerful cloud based version of Storyline?

Flash to HTML5-parity Conversion

As I understand, for your Storyline HTML5 output, you convert the FLASH to HTML5-parity by utilizing javascript to call on XML for the text content and static .PNG files for the image components. Please correct me on this.

Either way, the responsiveness of the HTML5-parity Storyline content when consumed on tablet, PC, and mobile browsers is at best, a slower, choppy user experience, and receives a decrease in quality of images, not to mention a loss of some functions.

Here is an eLearning heroes discussion that details some concerns around the compromised HTML5 user experience: https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/google-chrome-moving-to-html5-by-default-flash-to-be-hidden-on-browser-by-end-of-the-year#reply-386362.

Storyline is Consumed as Flash-Preffered

It is well known that Storyline publishes as Flash-preferred and that the fallback HTML5 output delivers a compromised user experience on tablets and other devices where browser viewing must take place. For example, users logged in to Blackboard Learn LMS and accessing storyline file links require browser based Flash/HTML5 viewing.

Browsers Block Flash - What HTML5 Tool Do I Choose?

Now that Google Chrome blocks flash, my organization is experiencing a dilemma with the choice of our next authoring tool. We have no choice - the HTML5 experience is really important to us, people use Chrome, and we cannot use special Mobile Apps with our LMS. We need uncompromising native browser HTML5 compatibility. This is why Rise looks like a great option, but it lacks the power of Storyline, so does not replace it as a tool for our authoring. It augments - I can use Rise for some things, but not for many others.

Articulate Tools and Their HTML5 Future

How is Articulate addressing HTML5 output in native browsers moving forward? The Storyline Flash conversion to HTML-5 parity is not good enough. Does Storyline 360 get away from this Flash output js/xml/png conversion? Will Rise ever get to the point of being a powerful cloud based version of Storyline, but with the cross-device native browser support for an uncompromised HTML5 experience?

Please help us choose our next native browser comliant tool, the future of our user experience depends on this!

Signed,

Wanting to Remain a Loyal Articulate User

5 Replies
Justin Grenier

Thanks for the super thoughtful post, JS.  Let me do my best to try and help.

• Yes, the published output from Rise is made up of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (as well as any media you've inserted).  You won't find any Flash at all there.
  • I'm not sure if you've noticed that Storyline 360 has introduced the concept of HTML5-first and HTML5-only published output.  In fact, Storyline 360 defaults to HTML5 first and falls back on Flash.  Here's a screenshot, and you can read about this in detail here.

Publish Formats

• For Articulate, HTML5 is absolutely the present and future.  As such, the HTML5 engine in Storyline 360 is a complete rewrite when compared to our HTML5 output from Storyline 2.  This has allowed us to expand our browser support, achieve 508/WCAG compliance, accomplish feature parity, and generally produce the best possible content from our authoring tools.  We'll continue to support Flash for organizations running legacy browsers, but we're laser-focused on our HTML5 output, which is architecturally similar (HTML, CSS, JavaScript) to the output from Rise.
  • It's hard to predict the future, but for now, Storyline and Rise are really 2 different products targeted at 2 different use-cases.  Here's a great video on how to choose the right tool for every job.
    • Rise is all about web-based authoring that produces gorgeous, lightweight, inherently-responsive courses.
    • Storyline is the most powerful authoring tool on the planet and lets you build any course you can imagine.
  • It's not correct to say that we convert Flash to HTML5 (and never has been).  We publish to HTML5 natively.
  • When you talk about Storyline's output as Flash-first and refer to our HTML5 output as second-rate, you're talking about the Storyline of yesterday (or more accurately, last week).  To reiterate, Storyline 360 is HTML5-first and ultra focused on a best-in-class HTML5 experience.

You need uncompromising native browser HTML5 compatibility.  As of November 9, 2016, both Storyline and Rise will deliver.  Give them a try and tell us what you think!

Vanessa M

Hi Justin and Articulate Community,

I have published a few Rise courses. They are pretty basic, quizzes only created using Rise, no elements imported except a pdf (no multimedia or elements from 360). The issue by many viewers is that they cannot see the Flash disabled in the IE11. I have tested in iPad and iPhone and everything looks great. Can someone share if Flash is needed to view courses created in Rise.

Thank you.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Vanessa,

You won't need any Flash to view courses authored in Rise. As long as the users are viewing in one of the supported browsers here, they should be good to go! 

Since IE11 seems to be the problem child for you, can you tell us what's happening when you try to view a course there? Any screenshots or links will help us troubleshoot! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.