I accidentally deleted a lesson, help please

Jul 18, 2018

I accidentally deleted a lesson and didn't realize it until i did the preview. I dont really want to redo the whole thing. :( 

22 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jessica,

Rise updates in real-time, so anything you delete is removed right away. Deleted courses appear in the folder named as such (similar to your Recycle/Trash bin on your computer), but individual lessons aren't stored there. 

One idea to prevent this in the future is creating a duplicate of your course before you begin editing. That way you can always go back and pull or copy content from the duplicate. 

Renz Sevilla

Hi Joana! No news yet on this feature. Sorry, we're not able to recover deleted lessons as edits update in real-time.

As Ashley suggested, one way to prevent this in the future is to create duplicates of your courses before editing the original course. If we have any news for you about updates to the Undo button or reverting to a previous version of the course, I'll update you all here on this thread.

Patrick Smith

Personally, I'm using a trial version to evaluate for our decision-makers, and I have no idea how I can suggest using a product that only gives you a few seconds to realize you made a mistake.  I accidentally deleted a lesson and had to redo about 30 minutes of work just reorganizing.  There has to be a better way, like having a holding area that keeps deleted items for 24 hours.

Alyssa Gomez
Hi everyone! We've improved the visibility and functionality of the undo notification that appears when you delete blocks and lessons.

The new undo notification appears for 12 seconds with a timer indicator. If you need longer than 12 seconds, hover your mouse over the notification to pause the timer. You'll also see multiple notifications when more than one block is deleted.

Let us know if you have any questions about this enhancement!
Susan CS

I accidentally deleted a block of text when I was trying to delete the heading. I tried Ctrl Z which didn't work. By the time I googled how to undelete, the 12 second undo notification was gone. The back button didn't work either. Ugh this is very disappointing. The sooner there is a better fix the better! 

I've read Rise support materials, tutorials and watched some webinars and I've never seen the Undo notification mentioned. At the very least, that could be included in all training and support as one of the first things a new person should learn. 

AWS GDSP

A big +1 to this feature. One idea is to create a storage of recently deleted item sin a course. Cap it at 4-5 items tops? Maybe even 2-3. Include lessons in that list. This way if an entire lesson is deleted, especially by accident, it can be recovered.

Alternatively, add a confirmation pop-up to the 'Delete' icon near a lesson within a course. Make it difficult to delete a lesson.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Sarah! It sounds like you're talking about the Deleted Content folder on your Rise 360 dashboard. You can recover the content from that section by hovering over the course card, clicking the ellipsis, and removing it from the trash.

image of deleted course with option to restore in upper right

Here's our article on managing content on your dashboard. I hope that helps!

Azor Allyn

12 seconds?!?!  What "genius" decided on that number.  How many people didn't realize that they had deleted a lesson until minutes later? What about new users who didn't know there was an undo option?  Losing all of that work with no viable recovery option is a HUGE misstep on Articulates part. And the fact that this has been a reported and requested update issue for YEARS with no fix in insane and gives me very little faith in Articulate.

Elizabeth Halter

I have to throw in my two cents here. While rearranging my lessons in a Rise course I accidentally clicked on the trash can icon next to a lesson. I didn't see the undo button that is referenced in this thread. I immediately realized I deleted an entire lesson and instinctively hit Ctrl + Z, which did nothing.

I appreciate the idea to save a duplicate of the course, however, I needed to know that was necessary before deleting four days worth of work. There needs to be a large red hazard triangle on the main page of Rise stating that you can delete entire sections of the course with one click and no options for recovery. There is no way I will be able to make my deadline now that I have to rebuild this content. 

Marie Rocchi

I agree! I made a duplicate of a course and needed to isolate "one section" for a reviewer. When I went back to the original - it was gone! I've asked about recovery but not holding out much hope. Two months of content building. I am rebuilding from review versions.

Making a copy before you edit is nonsense. I design and build in Rise constantly and would need to make copies constantly

Teresa Vanderpost

I sure was hoping.  I had two section twos in my course as I was trying to save time and I had duplicated a course, I went to delete the old lesson 2 and accidentally deleted the one I just spend a day on....I was watching the box in the bottom left but couldn't figure out how to stop it.  Why is there not a warning message or something?  I am not a new user...this makes me very sad.  I thought there was hope when I saw someone post about deleted content, but that seems to be for a full course....can we flag this again?