Image Dimensions in Rise

Jan 30, 2017

Hello

I've just started using Rise and I have some questions.  Is there  place that tells me the image dimensions (ie:  Image and Text, Image size for the accordion, etc.).  My client thinks the font is too small in the image description, so I was going to overlay it on the image, but it keeps cutting it off and I'll be here all day trying to figure out the image size.

85 Replies
Arathi Chhetri

hi All,

I'm facing the same issue. My file (see sample image for rise) when added as a full length image gets cut off at the bottom and top. If I choose to add it as a centred image, it gets too small to view. Any suggestions?

Tom Kuhlmann

Here's a quick help when working with images:

• Create a square PowerPoint slide. Design tab, slide size. 10x10
  • Add the image to the slide when using a square image block (grids, flashcard) to the slide.
  • Save the slide as an image .png

Of course you can crop the image in other tools, but I usually have PowerPoint open when working with Rise.

Jennifer Fowlkes

I am struggling with the image quality in Rise under the Course settings.  I frequently use airline logo's as the cover photo and it seems any logo size I select appears distorted as the cover photo when the course is previewed.  Any suggestions?  I have added a logo below as an example of what I'm struggling.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Jennifer!

Both of the logo files you attached are relatively small. You'll want to use the largest image sizes you have available so the logo will not lose quality if the course displays full screen.

Also, the best aspect ratio for the cover photo is 3:1. So for example, you could use an image that is 3000 pixels wide x1000 pixels tall. 

Doug Kipta

Okay some of the responses in here don't make sense.  You can't just speak of images in 16x9 and 1x1 those are video lingo.  What are the dimensions or resolutions that we should be look for in each of the instances.  Saying High res doesn't make sense.  So when we are using the 2 columns persay.  There is the on screen and then zoom image.  What are the two dimensions?  Reason i'm asking is that yep it is a square but is it 500x500 and then zoom is that simply coded to width parameter?  Or is it 1600x1600 and the 2 column is cropping.  

I guess my question might not be the specific resolutions, but letting us know how those are coded might help us in understanding what might be cropped and not.  EG: the image response of make it a square that makes sense to have the hieght be the total and white on sides.  But then if you have 3 column, the images are small and how will the zoom look.

I can go on and on, just asking and trying to save myself time as opposed to testing our every single sizing to see how they react.  But if i have to do that just let me know.  :-)

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Doug! We focus more on the aspect ratios than the dimensions because of the potential for that same image to be viewed on many screen sizes.

To keep it simple, use the bigger dimensions! When you zoom in Rise 360, the image will expand either to its original size, or until the browser window is full. When you use those high res images, they'll look great in the lesson and zoomed.

If you're having specific issues with image quality during zoom, however, let us know!

Annie Louden

Nope, nope, nope. We all know Rise is responsive, and I think a lot of us don't care. I hate how the 2-column image grid crops my images in the lesson, and they only look "normal" upon zooming. I too have to add white space around my original image to make it square. That just makes the space between the image and the caption wider, and it doesn't look great.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound rude. But I get emails when people respond to these posts, and so many of us have issues with how Rise resizes images. It's just frustrating.

Angela Digmann
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Jennifer!

Both of the logo files you attached are relatively small. You'll want to use the largest image sizes you have available so the logo will not lose quality if the course displays full screen.

Also, the best aspect ratio for the cover photo is 3:1. So for example, you could use an image that is 3000 pixels wide x1000 pixels tall. 

I love knowing the 3:1 trick for the cover photo - thank you!

Heather Nixon

I can see this was over 4 years ago. I'm having the same problems now. Some issues I'm having:

• content library images get zoomed in on/cut off rather than fitting to size so content library not really usable
  • Images I upload again zooming in on one tiny area and any of the options such as the column grid or text on image
  • To get around this I tried putting the text on the image and uploading as an image file but it again zoomed in/cut off a lot of the text
  • Screenshots blur a lot, especially if there is text.
  • Different issue but there also isn't always an option for alternative text on image blocks/interactive image blocks.

Would you be able to share specific dimensions for what works on your image information pages. I can resize an image if I know what to resize to.

Tom Kuhlmann

@heather: thanks for jumping in...just a few thoughts

There are some image blocks that are designed to respond to the device and will crop the image. For example, the blocks with text and image are designed to keep the text as the key focal point, which then crops the background image. If you use one of the square image blocks, it crops to the center square. And some images blocks are designed to scale the image.

It sounds like you may be experiencing some wonkiness. If the images you insert aren't responding the way designed for that block, contact our support team and they can look at it.

If you want to share what image you're inserting and the result, start a new thread (so this old one doesn't run on forever) and ping me and we can look at it. We can see if it's working as it should or not and then offer some help from there.

Screenshots are problematic in terms of what resolution it was grabbed at and then how it's scaled when responding to the device. There is always going to be some image degradation if you insert a screenshot into a lower resolution container. To avoid any compression Rise does to optimize the image you

Just add _NOPROCESS_ to the name of your image file.

In terms of dimensions, the images will either crop (to respond to the screen) or scale. There's no perfect dimension. Here's what I recommend when working with images:

• Use the highest quality image you can
  • work with a consistent aspect ratio. I usually use 16:9 and for the square blocks, 1:1. The cover image, I use 3:1(which is like three squares). The core content in the vicinity of the middle square won't get cropped out regardless of the device.
  • Use the _NOPROCESS_ to limit optimization

Hope that helps.

Edward Hoke

Tom: Thanks, man. Your insights and assistance are so useful!  This was good to think about as well, "Screenshots are problematic in terms of what resolution it was grabbed at and then how it's scaled when responding to the device." We all use screenshots to some degree or another as a last resort. What consistently pops up for me is the way Rise handles (or does not handle) zooms. I still do not understand the best practice for inserting the image size/rez, for optimum zoom effect. 

Hazel Bartolome

Hi Lisa! Sorry to hear that the images in your process block have different sizes.

Do all the original images (prior to uploading in Rise) have the same dimensions? 

I'd also like to share a support article with you that may be helpful regarding Best Practices for Images Videos and Audio in Rise Courses.