Insert images in line in text

Jun 28, 2018

There seems to be no way to insert an image in line in text in Rise like this:

Click the search  icon.

Or am I missing something?

33 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi there, Natasha.  Image files can be added only where media is supported in Rise. 

For your text elements, you can try searching the unicode for a character that matches what you need.  As an example, I searched for "magnifying" here:

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/search.htm?q=magnifying&preview=entity

...and I was able to insert a common magnifying glass "search" icon into my Rise text:

If you need to use specific imagery from a process you're teaching your learners, try a few labeled graphic blocks!

Natasha Salvo

Thanks for the feedback. We're all thrilled with the labeled graphic block. And good suggestion about unicode characters.  However, that won't work with nonstandard icons. 

Please file an enhancement request for the Insert Image icon so we can refer to icons inline, as in this example.

Thanks.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Natasha,

On a Windows machine, you can use the Alt +1F50D to enter that character. On a Mac you'd have the option to use the emoji keyboard by pressing CTRL +CMD+ Space and you'll see a new pop up.

I also was able to copy that Character from the unicode page and paste it into a section of Rise text. 

Natasha Salvo

Thank you. I am still unable to enter the character, apparently because I don't have a numeric keypad on my keyboard (http://www.fileformat.info/tip/microsoft/enter_unicode.htm). But I am able to copy the character.

The challenge is figuring out the name of the unicode character and/or hunting through the images for the one you want. Any suggestions there?

Hi Natasha, 

I'm not familiar with the Fontawesome characters, but if it's a standard font type you can add custom fonts to Rise. 

As for searching the Unicode list, or determining the name of an icon, I haven't figured out a quick way to do that. Perhaps someone in the ELH community has some advice on that? 

Elearning Babel

Ashley, Fontawesome is a font type indeed, but with thousands of diferent icons in addition to standard letters and numbers. In Rise you cannot apply a font to an specific character or word, so it doesn't allow for the common use of Fontawesome. It would be great (it's common in wordpress themes, for example) if your inline html editor could add support to apply a font type to an specific selection (letter or word) of a common text paragraph. As Fontawesome icons are letters, you can apply whatever color or font size to customice the final look.

Thanks for that added info, Victor! I wasn't familiar with Fontawesome, but sounds like a neat tool. Rise currently allows you to select one font for your headers and one for the text body, so I can understand how using this font won't work. I’ll be happy to pass your thoughts on to our product team, but you can also feel free to detail them more through a feature request!

Crystal Horn

Hey there, Sarah. These are the most universal steps for entering unicode on a Windows machine:

1. Press and hold down the Alt key.
  2. Press the + (plus) key on the numeric keypad.
  3. Type the unicode value.
  4. Release the Alt key.

For Macs, you can use the option key in combination with other letters for special characters.

Mata Henry

Can I put a yell out for Font Awesome to be packaged with rise. PLEASE.
Its such a powerful instructional and design tool - I'm amazed its not able to be kitted with Rise. Adjusting the css file after you've exported isnt ideal as you need to test the icon set and display comes through before the export.

The emoji's are very 80's/ancient looking and I'm from the 80's ;)

Mata Henry

While I'm at it, can I also do a shout out for more edit capability for font styles in the settings. You can currently obvs just set the heading and body fonts but nothing for bullets or anything else. Makes for meagre styling and everyone's course looks like everyone elses - ie a Rise course.

I use inspector to manually inline styles, but its fiddly, takes up time and sometimes you cannot change as its output at runtime.

So my wishlist:

Develop settings to include:

1. Implementation of Font Awesome as linked web font
  2. And/or able to implement a linked external css file (I reckon the developers will say 'heeeeell noooo' haha- and I understand why as it can ruin many things..
  3. Provide unordered/ordered list colouring and sizing and font-iiing
  4. Ability to reduce down the over bloated rem margins - particularly around img+text, storyline files ---why soo much maaaaaargin?
  5. Thank you