Introduction rise / long words

Sep 26, 2019

I have problems using long words (as they are common in German language) in the introduction of Rise. It seems it's not possible to change the size of the font at this place?

Using another, smaller font is no option due to CD.

Please note example enclosed

11 Replies
HellermannTyton ACADEMY

Good morning Karl,

This is a problem. Words that consist of related terms are written together in German grammar. Just one example: The Federal Data Protection Act is written of four words in English, in German it's only one word: Bundesdatenschutzgesetz. Words of this size are common and we have thousands of it... Thanx for your attention.

Am 25. Mai 2018 trat die EU-Datenschutz-Grundverordnung in Kraft. Diese Verordnung setzt neue Maßstäbe für den Datenschutz und wir haben unsere Datenschutzerklärung entsprechend den neuen gesetzlichen Anforderungen angepasst. Wir informieren Sie sehr gern über die von Ihnen erhobenen personenbezogenen Daten, den Verwendungszweck, die Speicherdauer, eine mögliche Weiterleitung Ihrer Daten und Ihre Rechte:
https://www.hellermanntyton.de/datenschutz

On 25th May 2018 the General Data Protection Regulation of the European Union came into effect.
This regulation sets new standards for data protection and we have adapted our privacy statement accordingly. We will gladly inform you about the personal data collected from you, the purpose of processing, the duration of storage, possible data transfer and your rights as data subject:
https://www.hellermanntyton.com/privacy

This e-mail (including any attachments) from HellermannTyton contains material that is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the e-mail, then delete it without making copies or using it in any way. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited. Although any attachments to the message will have been checked for viruses before transmission, you are urged to carry out your own virus check before opening, as HellermannTyton accepts no responsibility for loss or damage caused by software viruses. Thank you.

HellermannTyton ACADEMY

Hello Alyssa, any news? 

As you can see in the attachement, it's nearly impossible to use longer words in the Rise headline (as they are common in German language). This makes it very difficult to present Rise courses to our customers, if we cannot even name our lessons (or our products!) there..

Thanx for your support

Crystal Horn

Hello, Alexander. I don't have an update at this time on changing the font size in the sidebar or course title to accommodate longer words.

If you're using a Windows OS and keyboard, would a soft hyphen be an acceptable workaround? A soft hyphen creates hyphenated word breaks only where you want them, and the hyphen doesn't appear when the line doesn't need to break. To add a soft hyphen where a word can logically break, use alt+0173Here's what it looks like in your course.

I hope that helps!

If you're a Mac user, soft hyphens aren't supported. We are tracking a feature request for them.

HellermannTyton ACADEMY

Hello, how can I use a non-breaking hyphen in Rise?

Example: The German term

Luftfahrtstechnik und Luftfahrtssicherheit can be shortened as 

Luftfahrtstechnik und -sicherheit

Fot this, the Hyphen at the beginning of -sicherheit needs to be fixed…

As you can see here in this example, it's not working as a standard, so I think I need a code?! I know it in HTML...

https://rise.articulate.com/share/r8Auj5PCeCQdW3SuLBIZPWFzQVTggpkd

Thanx for help!

Crystal Horn

Hi there! We did some testing, and had some trouble with the keyboard shortcuts to get that symbol. We ended up copying a non-breaking hyphen from here:
https://www.toptal.com/designers/htmlarrows/punctuation/non-breaking-hyphen/

We pasted it into a Rise course title, and found that it stuck with -sicherheit. Can you try that and let me know if it works for you?

HellermannTyton ACADEMY

Hello Crystal,

Thank you for your answer. How can I embed the HTML code in Rise? It doesn't work in the usual way.

https://rise.articulate.com/share/r8Auj5PCeCQdW3SuLBIZPWFzQVTggpkd

On the other hand, it would be helpful if the author of the course could determine the font size of the field at the top left. In the German language, words like the Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz are not uncommon and we always have difficulties with the space and the layout in Rise.

Crystal Horn

You're welcome, and I can only imagine the challenge with German words. German is the language that comes up for us frequently with label sets and elegant font sizes.

We didn't use the HTML code; you won't be able to use HTML code in the text field of Rise courses. Instead, we copied the hyphen itself from another site or application, and pasted it in as "text" in the Rise title.