Issues saving progress in Moodle

Jun 11, 2020

Hi there, we are having an issue where our Rise course is not saving in Moodle, unless the user presses "exit the course" button, though ideally we would like it to save their progress regardless, for obvious reasons.

My colleague has done some investigation and it seems like there are conflicts, here are some of the findings:

Please advise, thank you

6 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Mhairi,

Thanks for sharing what's going on with your Rise 360 content. We're having a look at this behavior, and we've seen that making this adjustment in Chrome 83 has helped in some LMS environments:

1. Open Chrome browser
2. Go to chrome://flags/#allow-sync-xhr-in-page-dismissal
3. Change the drop-down selection from "Default" or "Disabled" to "Enabled"

We'll let you know if we are able to make changes to Rise 360 output that would help.

Crystal Horn

Hi Mhairi. Thank you for giving us some time to explore this issue.

Chrome has deprecated a technology that was used by many LMSs to allow a course to communicate back to the LMS when the course window is closed. If your LMS hasn't upgraded their system, or if you're using an older version of your LMS that doesn't include an update to address this change, the course cannot communicate progress or completion properly. This causes learners to start over from the beginning instead of resuming a course or recording completion after they close the browser window.

Please reach out to your LMS and find out if they have released an update to address the Chrome changes. If you need support from us with the technical details, please let us know by starting a case with us here.

Rachael Mordecai
Marco Bennardo

Hi Mhairi,

I fixed this issue by upgrading moodle to last stable 3.8.

I hope this   solution can help you.

Hey Mhairi. Thanks for the info. We are having this problem when completing a Rise course in Chrome. It works fine in Firefox! 

Clicking the 'Exit course' link in Rise solves the problem, but this is confusing as many learners may just close the window. Also Moodle has its own 'Exit course' button which confuses things further.

I think we need to upgrade to Moodle 1.8 to solve this. We're on 1.7 something.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.