Issues with Moodle tracking Rise quiz

Aug 03, 2020

Hi all,

I've created a Rise course with a quiz at the end to track completion. When I exported the SCORM file I selected to track using the quiz result, with the option 'Complete/Incomplete'.

I have uploaded to Moodle, but Moodle is not recognising the lesson as completed even when the quiz has been successfully completed.

Does anyone know which settings I should be using:

a) when exporting the SCORM file; and

b) as the activity completion in Moodle?

This is an ongoing issue with our Moodle LMS.

7 Replies
Zoe Lethbridge

So I think I've figured this out. Completion tracking is working with the following settings:

1. Export the Rise package for LMS, selecting Track Using Quiz Result. Change the tracking option to 'Passed/Incomplete' before export.

2. Upload as an activity in Moodle. In the activity completion settings, tick the box that says 'Passed' and deselect/disable all other activity completion options.

Darren Smith

Hi Zoe, 

I too am having the same issue but have been unsucessful in managing to sort this issue. When the student eventually completes the Rise 360 quiz which I have to have as a competency based assessment the course is not completing. I tried those settings you suggested above but still no luck. Did you try anything else?

Zoe Lethbridge

Hi Darren,

I got in contact with Articulate Support before I figured this out. They mentioned there were some issues for Moodle users caused by a recent Google Chrome update. If you're using Chrome, perhaps try it out in a different web browser to rule it out?

Also I'm not sure about you, but our Moodle site takes about half an hour to recognise that the learning has been completed, so it will show as incomplete for a while then change to completd. Took me a while to figure this out!

Good luck!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi, folks!

Some LMS's won't receive completion data or resume properly unless you include an Exit Course link inside your Rise 360 course. Crystal shared more detail about that in her post here.

There are two ways you can add Exit Course functionality to your course:

1. Add a button block, and set the button destination to "Exit Course."
  2. Publish the course for LMS, and on the publishing screen, toggle the "Exit Course" link to ON. 

Test the course again after adding the Exit Course button or link, and let me know if that resolves the issue!

Meghan McKay

Just adding an addendum to this for anyone else who stumbles across this forum as we had the exact same issue in 2020 (our Articulate courses suddenly stopped communicating with Moodle). 

Alyssa's solution of adding Exit Course to our Rise course does work, but we weren't happy with this as a permanent solution, as many learners still instictively close the SCORM window rather than clicking the tiny sometimes hidden Exit Course link in Rise. This meant that learners weren't being properly credited for a course they had actually completed. 

We were able to get our Articulate Courses communicating with Moodle again with both a patch (to address the Chrome changes?) and upgrade (to Moodle 3.9) on our site. This allowed our courses to go back to functioning the way they were before without needing the Exit Course button

FYI: The Moodle activity completion settings we use to get our Rise courses to communiate with Moodle properly (i.e. communicating the grade and completion status) is only the following checked. (confirmed to work with Chrome and Edge)

Student must recieve a grade to completed this activity
Require status: Passed 
Require status: Completed

If we have anything less than these 3 boxes checked, Moodle will not report correctly from Rise. Don't ask me why. 

We ran our Rise course through SCORM cloud and confirmed that the Complete status is not reported unless the learner passes their Rise quiz, ergo the SCORM will not be marked complete in Moodle (with the green checkmark) unless the learner passes the quiz. 

I hope this info is helpful to anyone who stumbles across it.