italics always become bold in Rise

Mar 28, 2023

Hi, when I want to format text in Rise and choose Italic the word or sentence always automatically will be printed bold as well. Is that a mistake? I would like to be able to choose only Italic...

Thanks in advance, 

Nina

9 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Nina,

There are certain text elements in Rise that will default to Bold like a Heading or a Subheading. If you're seeing the Bold and Italics applied to standard paragraph text or similar, can you let me know what type of Block you're using and the font you've set for your course?

That'll help our team dig a bit deeper into what you're seeing! 

Jose Tansengco

Hi Nina,

Thanks for the additional information. Here's a quick look at what happens when I try to italicize text in a Rise 360 course that uses Arial as the font: 

Since the issue appears to be specific to your environment, try the following troubleshooting steps to help address the behavior: 

Let me know if these work for you!

Nina Nutsch

Hi Joe,

thank you for the troubleshooting steps. Unfortunately, the problem still exists. I tried it in Edge and I also cleared my cache in Chrome. Updates are run regularly in our organization. Chrome is on the latest version, I’d have to check with IT about our operating system though…What is wrong with me and my Rise? 😉

Nina

Von: E-Learning Heroes
Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. April 2023 17:12
An: Nutsch, Nina
Betreff: Reply to italics always become bold in Rise

[E-Learning Heroes]

Jose Tansengco

Hi Nina, 

Sorry to hear that you are still experiencing this issue. Are you able to test the behavior using a different computer to help isolate the cause? If you have colleagues who also use Rise 360, can you confirm if they are experiencing this as well?

One thing you can check is to see if you have any applications or browser extensions installed that are responsible for modifying text that you enter. If you do not have such an application installed, open a case with our support team here so we can take a closer look at what's happening.

Also, your contact information came through as well. This Peek video will show you how to edit it out if you’d like!

Angelo Cruz

Hi Natalie! Thanks for reaching out.

I was able to duplicate the issue you reported. In this screenshot, the italicized text appears to have a slightly heavier weight than the ones not in italics. However, bolded texts still appear heavier in weight.

I tried changing the fonts and this appears to occur only with specific ones such as Open Sans. I tried changing my font to Lato and I was not able to replicate the behavior. Can you check with your colleagues, those that are able to replicate the behavior, what font they are using so that we can document it properly?

I'll bring this up with our team for further investigation and we'll get back to you again if we receive any updates.