Length of a Rise Program?

May 03, 2018

Hi,

I'm working with some clients who love Rise, but want to make very long (30+ lesson) programs. When I pilot them with some colleagues, people report that they start to tune out about half-way through. As a result I'm going to break up the course into 3 parts. However, my client keeps asking how long they "should" be. Does anyone have any advice on how to answer that questions? Or is there any evidence around how long a Rise program should be to ensure the learner remains engaged? 

Thank you!

7 Replies
Trina Rimmer

Hi Michelle. Sounds like you've got your hands full managing your client's expectations. Regardless of the authoring app you're using, I'm a big advocate for writing learning material that's engaging and relevant, and splitting-up large topics into more manageable chunks/smaller courses. Writing content in an engaging way is always good practice, but it will also give you a free pass from learners when certain topics are a little lengthier. Breaking content up generally makes it easier for folks to absorb and retain information, and they'll feel a sense of accomplishment as they work their way through each course.

My answer to your client might be something like, "In my experience, courses should be as long as is necessary to achieve a few (2-3) specific objectives. What we really need to focus on isn't length as much as it is the quality of the content we're writing, and how we're presenting information so that it's relevant and relatable."

This forum discussion on ideal course length might offer you some perspective. And Clark Quinn recently wrote a well-regarded book on learning myths that sorts myths from facts around attention span. I'd definitely check that out if you're running into this challenge with clients.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Tim. Effective course duration may vary based on the content you're teaching and what your requirements are from stakeholders. With that in mind, doing some prep work for your courses will help keep your content focused and impactful.

Check out this article on e-learning design. It describes the difference between "need to know" and "nice to know," and it talks about what to do if your course has too much content. Also, I love Tom's blog. Check out this post about doing a needs analysis for your training. These approaches may guide you as you make decisions for each of your courses.

To keep the discussion going, share the industry you work in and the goals of your training!

Pete Scheller

Hi there!

I can see all of the variables and appreciate the general advice, however I am curious to know if anyone has any stats regarding this.

For example, when training is not mandatory, is there a point where users bail if the training is longer than X?

Or does anyone have survey feedback that speaks to this question. 

Thanks

Pete

Pete Scheller

Hi Norma

I am planning to go with no more than 10-15 minutes for a module and no more than 6-8 individual lessons within a module.

My modules are not mandatory and they are somewhat technical. So, I think if people see 15 lessons when first opening the module, they will feel overwhelmed and might not bother.  

I think, if there is enough variety in the elements (flipcards, video, images etc.), then most people will stay engaged.