Master Lessons in Rise

Nov 20, 2020

Hi all,

I'm creating training courses in Rise around several highly technical products and I need multiple variations of the courses relevant to the specific needs of different types of customers.

Some of the courses will include the same lessons, and due to the nature of my work the information will change several times each year.

Is there a way  to create a lesson once, use it in multiple courses, and have the course point to the "master" lesson as opposed to the lesson being fully contained within the course? This way updating the master lesson will also update all of the courses using the lesson.

If not... are there other ways to achieve my goal, besides having a master course that contains the updated lessons and then copying the updated lesson to each course using it? This would require me to do this operation for each course using the lesson, which isn't ideal. I would also have to keep track of everywhere the lesson is used.

If not... Does anyone know of other course authoring platforms (or LMS' that include course authoring) that allow for this? 

Thanks for your time and input!

2 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi there, William. If you had a main course that hosted the lesson, you may be able to use the Share link of that course in a button block in each course where that content needs to appear. When launching a course using the Share link, you'll see each lesson has its own URL that you can point to. The learner will click the button, and the lesson will open in a new tab or window.

Alternatively, you can export the main course for web, and upload it to your own web server. If you do that, you can embed the main lesson URL using an embed block into each course where it belongs. The benefit of this method is that the lesson is contained right in every course rather than opening in a new window.

I hope that helps!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.