Moving to next Lesson if failed Quiz

Feb 23, 2017

Hello awesome Heroes!

I am developing a course and set the navigation to restricted. Based on that logic, I was under the impression that if a user doesn't pass the quiz (which to me is the same as if they didn't complete all the interactions on a Pre-built lesson), they wouldn't be able to continue to the next "lesson". 

We need to include a congratulations/conclusions slide for when they pass the test. As of right now, even with the navigation restricted they are able to move to the next slide which can be pretty confusing and even misleading. 

This will pose as a hinderance especially since we export our courses as a SCORM package to our LMS, tracking using quiz results and report the completion status as Passed/Incomplete. 

Unfortunately this will be the dealbreaker for using this platform if we can't restrict a user to take the quiz again before they move to the next "lesson".

Please let me know if anything can be done in the meantime, we are set to launch in 2 weeks and I need to know asap if we have to develop in storyline.

Thank you so much!

33 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Erin,

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused you! The restricted navigation of a Rise course determines how the user progresses through each lesson and block, so that they have to touch and hit upon all items. Since the user took and completed the quiz (even without passing) they'll be able to advance to the next page. The results and score will still be passed to your LMS, even if the user failed.

I know two weeks is a short timeline for you, and I'll share your feedback with our team, but in the meantime would it help to include a note after the quiz letting the user know that they need to retake the quiz to receive full credit for the course? The quiz results page does include a "retry" button as an option prompting the user to go back and retake it.

Also, we're working on a certificate/ceremony of completion for a Rise course - based on your course needs that may help alleviate some of the concerns you've got. It's on the roadmap but I don't have an ETA on it yet - so we'll keep you posted!

Danielle Kunce

Just came across this thread as I have the same issue as the OP. Honestly I think it's kind of ridiculous that this hasn't been addressed within the application yet, or that it was even released without this feature to begin with. We just now realized this major flaw as we were finishing up final touches on our course. Locking progress until a quiz is successfully completed is SO BASIC. Letting the learner navigate forwards so that we can tell them to go back would not be a good user experience at all.  

I'm not happy about having to potentially start over on this course, but I suppose after years of Storyline 1, 2 and 360, I shouldn't have expected more than a beta tester type experience with Rise. Functionality, usability and the learner's experience needs to be much better thought through before release.

ACP DPS

Sorry to bombard you, Ashley, but please add one more (potential) customer to the crowd begging for this feature (restricting access to the next step in the course until a particular quiz is passed, not just completed).

By the way, I think the rest of the Rise platform design/functionality is absolutely beautiful -- very, very nicely done.  (Please pass this along to your developers when you tell them that your community is shouting for a means of restricting navigation based on quiz passing.)  :)

Alyssa Gomez

No apologies necessary, Steven! Your feedback helps us determine how in-demand a feature is, so I'm glad you chimed in! I'll be sure to pass along your thoughts (and your praises! 🌟) to our team. 

In the meantime, would it help to include a message after the quiz letting the learner know that they need to retake the quiz until they receive a passing score? Here's an example of what that could look like.

Jeremy Williams

Another call here too for a method of restricting forward movement until a quiz has been passed. This may prove to be a deal-breaker for our current contract with a non-LMS using client. Whilst a fully-blown certificate feature would be ideal, just being able to stop learners moving to a ceremony page until successfully completing a final mastery test would be so useful.

Jeremy Williams

Thanks Ashley, that's good to hear. What we implemented in the end was a Storyline module within Rise that contains the final quiz with an initial screen where the learner inputs their name and then a final certificate that's only generated once they complete the test successfully. This workaround is OK, but would be lovely to see a native (and fully responsive) solution.

Hi James, 

You're correct - that "Next lesson" button will still appear at the bottom. I think Jeremy's suggestion was to use the Storyline block as a quiz option and allow the user to indicate their completion there.

We're still working on the feature to lock the user at the quiz until they pass - so stay tuned! 

Hi Kate, 

Since the user will have met the completion requirement (visiting the results slide) that will pass the completion to your Rise course and allow them to continue. Perhaps instead you could look at using the Storyline Completion trigger and let that appear only on the Success Layer of your Results slide? 

Let us know if you need anything else! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.